One of my favorite desserts is bananas foster. There is something the rich buttery rum flavor that pairs so well with bananas. When thinking of some delicious breakfast treats, I wanted to try to incorporate some of the bananas foster flavor into baked doughnuts. These Baked Bananas Foster doughnuts were absolutely divine!
If you don’t have a Wilton Doughnut pan, you need one! They are so easy to use and make delicious doughnuts without all the added fat (and work) that come along with frying. Plus, they come out a little fluffier like a muffin than dense like doughnuts.
I went ahead and topped these doughnuts with this insanely addictive Brown Butter Walnut Bananna Compote, which pretty much made these doughnuts the most insanely addictive and rich treat, ever. Our babysitter may just have helped me shovel through a few of these in one sitting- we were instantly hooked!
You’ll note that in the recipe I am calling for butter rum syrup. I use the Torani syrups so that they are alcohol-free, but you can use rum if you have some on hand. Since my kiddos eat these most of the time, I skip the rum and opt for the syrup. If it was for some girlfriends and me, I’d go for the rum!
Don’t skip the rum flavor and add vanilla instead- the rum flavorings give it the uniquely bananas foster flavor- and make them a little more intriguing and complex. Also, the sea salt is totally necessary. It makes the doughnut a little more sweet! Salt increases and intensifies sweet flavors- don’t be afraid to add it in baked goods!
- -1½ cups flour
- -1 teaspoon baking soda
- -1/2 cup butter, softened
- -2 eggs
- -1 cup sugar, + ½ cup for dusting
- -2 large very ripe bananas
- -2 tablespoons rum syrup
- -1/2 cup milk
- -1/4 cup cinnamon, for dusting
- -1/2 tsp sea salt
- Fill a large bowl or paper bag with cinnamon and sugar to top and set aside.
- Cream together sugar and butter in a stand mixer.
- Add in eggs, mix thoroughly.
- Add in rum, milk and extracts.
- Slowly fold in flour and baking soda- be careful not to overmix.
- Pour into Wilton doughnut pan- fill about ½ way to top.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until slightly browned and toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Eat immediately and enjoy!