Paleo Curry Chicken Stir Fry is one of my favorite go-to meals for a busy night or when I am dieting but need a big, guilt-free dinner. This is a meal that is really filling, without being too heavy or full of calories. You can add nuts, plain yogurt, or coconut milk if you’d like an even richer dish- and its delicious on its own or over a bed of rice if you aren’t following a paleo diet.
And, yes, I know this isn’t technically a stir fry since I’m not using a wok (and I actually end up usually using a cast iron for this dish), but it tastes pretty much the same and it’s easier for people to picture what I’m making calling it a stir-fry.
Don’t let the curry scare you- this is a VERY mildly curried dish. We’re just adding a few spices for some flavor to add a little intrigue to diet food (who says eating healthy has to be boring? The smoky, slightly spicy and garlicky tastes are a great way to change things up and give yourself a little more flavor in your diet.
As long as you have a large pan, this is a true one pot meal. If your pan is not large enough for the chicken and veggies to cook together and still get brown, you will want to cook the chicken almost all the way, set aside and brown the veggies and then add the chicken back in to finish. If your pan is too crowded, the veggies and chicken will steam instead of getting nice and brown. We want the veggies to have a little bit of bite and lots of brown, caramel-y flavor.
This is a great meal for the whole family. Be sure to really let veggies brown to get a sweeter flavor- that’s my secret for feeding my kids veggies. Last time I made this, my 1 year old daughter picked out all the broccoli off my dish and gobbled it up!
Don’t forget to check out some of my favorite paleo meals right under this recipe!
- 2 tbsp olive oil or other preferred oil
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 onion, halved and then cut into strips
- 1 head broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 cloves garlic or 1 shallot, diced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika *
- 1 tbsp red curry powder*
- 2 tsp turmeric*
- *these are what my hubby and I use- but this is VERY subjective to taste. Add a teaspoon at a time and add more as needed. This is a very adaptable recipe and is meant to be tasted as you go.
- In cast iron pan or heavy skillet, heat oil until shimmery.
- Add chicken and brown evenly.
- If you have a large pan, add veggies. If your pan is too small for everything to fit and not be too crowded, remove chicken and add veggies (but be sure to cook chicken completely).
- Brown veggies and continue cooking chicken (or brown veggies and add chicken back when they are nice and browned). Add garlic or shallot when slightly browned so they don't burn.
- When chicken and veggies are fully cooked and browned, add another tablespoon of olive oil and spices.
- Combine well so spices evenly coat chicken and veg.
- Serve hot on its own or over rice.
If you love this, check out this collection of over 25 Perfectly Paleo foods- desserts, mains, breakfasts- it’s all there. Great ideas to get into eating paleo!
Or why not try out one of these delicious paleo pastas? All the flavor and convenience of the pastas you love- with none of the carbs!