Easy one pot shrimp and grits - an easy and delicious shrimp and grits recipe that the whole family will love!
I love grits. There is nothing more comforting, than shrimp and grits on a fall afternoon.
It's warm, creamy, cheesy- and it's not too greasy or overbearing. Making it 1 Pot Shrimp and Grits makes it even better- less of a mess to clean up!
A lot of people cook their shrimp seperately when they make shrimp and grits.
Why? Just more mess, in my opinion.
Toss 'em in and let them cook as the grits finish- pull it all off the stove JUST as the shrimp turns fully pink.
A lot of people think they dont like shrimp and try mine and like it.
My secret? I dont overcook shrimp.
Its easy to overcook shrimp to get rid of fishy flavor- but the problem is when you overcook shrimp it actually tastes fishier, and has a gross gummy texture.
Overcooked shrimp is not fabulous- make sure you add them just at the end and pull it off the stove when the shrimp is fully pink- not longer.
One Pot Shrimp and Grits Recipe
If you love this easy one pot shrimp and grits recipe as much as I do, please give it a five star review and help me share on facebook and pinterest!
1 pot shrimp and grits - an easy and delicious shrimp and grits recipe that the whole family will love!
- 1 lb shrimp UNCOOKED
- 2 cups shredded SHARP cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cream, whole milk, or butter
- 1 cup organic, quick grits
- 3 cups water, or specified amount for 1 cup grits according to your brand's packaging
- salt and pepper, to taste
- *optional- 1/2 cup vermoth, cook grits a touch longer if adding this so it is not too runny
- *optional- paprika and garlic, to taste
- Peel shrimp, set aside.
- Shred cheese, set aside.
- Measure grits, set aside.
- Boil water to a rolling boil, add grits. Stir frequently until grits thicken slightly.
- Turn heat to low.
- Add in cheese and cream/milk/butter, stir until cheese is fully melted.
- Add in shrimp and salt & pepper. Stir to be sure shrimp cooks evenly.
- When shrimp has just turned opaque, it is ready. You want it to just be pink- not overcooked. Overcooked shrimp gives the fishy taste and gummy texture most people don't like. Make sure its pink- but dont overcook it!
Amount Per Serving Calories 574Total Fat 38gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 266mgSodium 1297mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 39g