I love zucchini bread in the summer. It’s moist, semi-sweet, and who doesn’t have a zillion zucchinis they need to use up? It doesn’t take forever to make a delicious chocolate zucchini bread, and I am showing a method that allows you to make bread from a boxed cake mix! Really… and it is SO good! Best of all, I am using a gluten free cake mix, but any type of boxed cake mix will work for this quick bread recipe.
You can’t get any easier than four ingredients- and this is also an affordable way to make delicious gluten free bread! I use Bob’s Red Mill because I prefer to use non-GMO grains when I can, but really- any type of boxed chocolate cake mix will do- gluten free or not.
- 4 small or medium zucchinis, grated
- 3 eggs
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- water, depending on how moist zucchini is
- Grate zucchinis with a cheese grater using a small opening, place in large bowl.
- Crack 3 eggs and combine with grated zucchini.
- Stir in cake mix and combine thoroughly.
- Add just a little water at a time if zucchini isn't moist enough to get to a thick, bread consistency.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Check bread, and if knife comes out clean, it is done.
- If there is a little mix on the knife, cook for another 10 minutes, checking every five minutes, or until done.
If you’d like, drizzle a little powdered sugar-water frosting over the top (be sure your powdered sugar contains pure corn starch not modified corn starch if you are GF), or you can even pour some store bought frosting over it.
TIP: if your kid is a picky eater like mine, you can also sneak in a few shredded carrots, diced spinach and generous handfulls of chia seeds and flax meal, too. My boy loves carbs, so whenever hes eating breads I try to sneak in as many veggies and healthy omega 3 packed seeds as I can 🙂