Ever since making my Bacon Wrapped Cheddar and Pepper Stuffed Chicken, I’ve been dreaming up stuffed chicken recipes. I have a bunch upcoming, but I had to start off the stuffed chicken recipes with a good healthy dose of bacon. Who doesn’t love bacon for dinner? The only thing yummier than bacon for dinner is mac and cheese for dinner. Add bacon and chicken to that, and you’ve got a winner. Alas, I give you Bacon Wrapped Mac and Cheese Stuffed Chicken.
Aka, my inner fat kid rejoicing.
This is one of the most delicious easy bake meals you can make on a busy weeknight- and your family will think it is a special treat!
I’m using DeBoles Gluten Free macaroni and cheese- but you can use any brand, gluten free or regular. For an extra decadent dinner, you could make your own mac and cheese or a béchamel sauce to pour over the top of this- but it is beyond delicious as is.
So let’s get going- this dinner will make you the stuff of legends!
- box of macaroni and cheese, prepared according to directions (you'll only need about 1 cup for two large chicken breasts)
- 1 cup shredded cheese- cheddar, romano, gruyere, etc.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Preheat oven to 350
- Carefully slice chicken breasts in half, butterflying them.
- spoon in 1/2 cup macaroni and cheese
- add in shredded cheese
- carefully place top half of chicken back over toppings
- wrap in bacon
- bake at 350 for 30 minutes until chicken is 155 degrees (you don't want to overcook it under the broiler in the next steps, but you want it to be close to temp)
- turn broiler to high
- bake under broiler for 8 minutes, or until bacon is very crisp
- flip chicken, cook other side until very crisp
- let rest for 5 minutes before serving
Amount Per ServingCalories 1376 Total Fat 77g Saturated Fat 33g Trans Fat 4g Unsaturated Fat 38g Cholesterol 264mg Sodium 2438mg Carbohydrates 74g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 4g Sugar 13g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 93g
A few notes: if you are using thicker bacon, you will want to leave a little more broil time, so you’ll reduce your chicken temp to 150 before broiling. If using thinner bacon, broil chicken when it reaches 160. Since the bacon and mac and cheese help to keep the chicken’s moisture in, it is ok if it is slightly overcooked- but you don’t want to undercook as the mac and cheese will be exposed to raw chicken and you want to be sure it is over 170 degrees for 5 seconds before eating to avoid salmonella.
If your bacon is not crisping well, you can finish this in a pan. Place a toothpick in the chicken to make sure it stays together while flipping and sauté on medium high until crisp.
What’s your favorite way to combine sinfully delicious foods like mac and cheese and bacon?
For more easy meal ideas, check out:
Bacon Wrapped Cheddar and Pepper Stuffed Chicken