There are some toppings that are great on pancakes, waffles, doughnuts, croissants, ice cream, cake... or just as their own little dish full of heaven. This Brown Butter Walnut Banana Compote is one of those delicious indulgences that pairs well with breakfast or dinner- and can be it's own rich, sweet and filling treat on it's own.
This treat is so rich and divine, and has an incredibly strong banana flavor. If you like bananas foster, you'll love this compote! You could also add some rum or wine to the mixture to give it a bit of an adult kick- feel free to flambe or just let the booze soak through. It is great with or without the rum, though!
Want the most delicious combination ever for this compote? Check out my Banana Fosters Baked Doughnuts... you WON'T want to miss this amazingly decadent combination!
The modifications to make it paleo include a bunch of raw honey instead of brown sugar. In the photo below, you can see how I toasted the walnuts first and then candied them with plenty of honey. This filled the house with an incredibly sweet, nutty aroma that should be canned and sold! This compote isn't just tasty- it makes your house smell soooo good.
For the absolute best explanation of how to brown butter, please check this quick tutorial from Buzzfeed. It can burn very easily- so be sure to stir constantly and watch it like a hawk! Let it cool completely before adding it in this recipe.
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 ripe banannas, sliced
- 1/4 cup honey, 1/2 cup if making this as a paleo dish
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup brown butter
- In a pan on low heat, toast walnuts until slightly browned, about 4 minutes. Stir to prevent from burning.
- Add honey and sugar, stir until honey bubbles.
- Quickly add brown butter and cook on low, stirring constantly, until banannas are very soft and compote has a light brown color (it will get darker after taking off heat as it continues to cook- don't overcook and burn!)
- Remove from pan immediately- it will keep cooking and you don't want it to burn!
- Spread over pancakes, waffles, ice cream, doughnuts, banana bread- or eat straight from the bowl.
Amount Per Serving Calories 188Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 15mgSodium 48mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 1gSugar 27gProtein 1g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.