Do you LOVE caprese as much as I do on hot summer days? It’s lightly tangy, salty and so delicious- without weighing you down. I love the little caprese skewers, but they are kind of a pain to eat at a dinner or as a more substantial appetizer than just a few bites. So to make something a bit more substantial, I came up with this fun twist on traditional caprese- Caprese Burgers!
These caprese burgers are such a fin twist on caprese salad, and so much less fussy than going back for more and more of the skewered caprese appetizers.
You can change it up, but I love to use the Kumato Tomatoes from Trader Joes. Kumato Tomatoes have a thicker skin, meaning they don’t bruise as easily and have a longer shelf life. They also have more sugar than many tomatoes and a deep, delicious earthy flavor. They are some of my favorites for delicious tomato salads and great on burgers, too! Of course, you can substitute any tomato. I suggest a medium sized tomato for this appetizer to keep it large enough to be satiating, but small enough to be manageable. This caprese burger gets about 3-4 big bites and is great for dinner parties or gatherings where guests are seated (or can access a counter or other place to nibble their meal without balancing) but want to try an array of appetizers.
- 12 to matoes, medium sized (I LOVE trader joe's kumato tomatoes for these)
- fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 large leaf basil per tomato
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil and balsalmic vinegar, to taste
- Using a serrated knife, slice your tomatoes in half.
- Add cheese, salt and pepper the inside of the tomatoes.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar onto tomatoes.
- Add top tomato slice onto the bottom half, like a sandwich, and secure with a toothpick.
- Serve and enjoy!