Do you ever have those nights where you look in the pantry forever just trying to figure out what you can throw together to make something, anything, quickly? We recently had one of those- and with a bunch of potatoes, cream cheese and other cheeses on hand (and not much else), I came up with a home run our family is going to eat time and time again! These Cheesy Potato Noodles are a delicious, fun, and easy to make appetizer or side dish!
To make the “noodles” I just used a paderno veggie slicer I nabbed on Amazon and the single blade. You can make this dish without a spiraler and by using a thin mandoline- it just won’t give the wavy “noodle” shape- which is mostly for the kid’s benefit because the noodles are really fun to eat.
I topped mine with fresh green onions and some red pepper flakes, the kids liked them just as-is. They are kind of a hybrid of potatoes au-gratin but with a lasagne feel. They are also a bit creamier and richer thanks to plenty of cream cheese.
These are perfect as a side to burgers or steaks- or even as a standalone with a side of vegetables when your pantry is a little low like ours was!
- 2 large russet potatoes, spiraled into long thin noodles
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup milk or heavy cream
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- parmesan or asiago to top, about a handful
- Generously salt and pepper spiraled potatoes and place into a well greased pie pan or casserole dish.
- In a large pan, melt butter and cream cheese on medium heat.
- Slowly stir in milk, stirring constantly to prevent scalding.
- Add half of the grated cheddar cheese and garlic and onion powder, stir until melted into mixture.
- Spoon over spiraled potatoes, cover with foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Remove foil and add second half of cheddar cheese and asiago or parmesan to the top of the potatoes, bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until soft.
Amount Per Serving Calories 397 Total Fat 23g Saturated Fat 14g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 7g Cholesterol 67mg Sodium 403mg Carbohydrates 31g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 3g Sugar 2g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 16g