My family loves simple, easy roasted chicken. It's kind of become our go-to weekend dish- our standard for sunday supper. We love to have delicious, wholesome and warm meals on Sunday after church- but Sundays get fairly chaotic for us in between church and preparing for the coming week. This Foolproof Thyme Roast Chicken is a simple but beautiful dish that is a truly one-pot meal- and is perfect for a magnificent dinner party centerpiece, or part of a humble meal with family.
This roast chicken is so insanely easy- just add the ingredients to a pot, pop in the oven, and your whole house fills up with the most amazing herb-filled smell. It smells just like those ever-enticing birds that slow roast all day long in our small town grocery store.
What I love about this recipe over some of our other roasted chicken favorites (which are all fantastic, and totally worth trying!) is that it uses ingredients you are likely to already have on hand- and you can add some extra veggies and roaster potatoes to the pot to make an entire meal for a crowd- just toss them in the pan and lay the chicken on top. Be sure to season anything you add- generously salt and pepper any potatoes, specifically.
It's simple, great for filling bellies on weeknights or the day before a long week begins- and makes for fabulous leftovers throughout the week. Simply shred leftover chicken for Chicken Noodle Soup, A delicious shredded chicken salad, or toss it into a simple stir fry!
- 1 onion, skin removed and chopped into fourths
- 2 celery, rough chopped into ½" bits
- 5 cloves garlic, skin removed
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into ½" bits
- 2 lb chicken, roaster
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add vegetables to bottom of dutch oven.
- Lay chicken on vegetables.
- Season generously.
- Add pats of butter on top of chicken
- Sprinkle with thyme.
- Cook until birds internal temperate reaches 160 degrees- about 1 hour.
- Set broiler to high, let skin crisp for just 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat, section and serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 2081Saturated Fat 39gCholesterol 680mgSodium 790mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 6gSugar 12gProtein 172g