This Fried Egg Cheesy Veggie Homefries Skillet is a hearty, healthy, and filling breakfast- perfect for the morning after when you need extra veggies!
My husband and I like to joke that after a long night (and perhaps a few too many beverages), you really only need one vitamin in the morning- vitamin G. As in, vitamin Grease. Is there anything better than a rich, greasy, and filling meal when you’re feeling a bit rough in the morning?
It’s easy to over-do the grease bit and have your meal keep you feeling sluggish all day though. So I made this delicious, hearty, and actually (reasonably) healthy fried egg and cheesy veggie homefries skillet as a way to get in a lot of other (real) vitamins- though it still has a rich, indulgent taste that is so comforting on tough mornings.
Grab some orange juice and fruit- and this makes a perfectly well rounded hangover helper meal. It’s even gluten-free for those with gluten allergies!
Fried Egg Cheesy Veggie Homefries Skillet
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, ghee, or clarified butter
- 2 russet potatoes, washed well and diced into 1" squares
- 1 zucchini, washed well and diced into 1" squares
- 1 bell pepper, halved and diced
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, sharp
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup green onions
- 2 tbsp butter , or grease
- 2 eggs
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt butter or heat oil until shimmery.
- Add onions and cook until browned.
- Set aside.
- Add potatoes, cook on medium high until browned.
- Remove potatoes.
- Add vegetables and cook on medium high until browned.
- Add onions and potatoes back to pan, stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and top with cheese and green onions.
- In a small pan over very high heat, add 2 tbsp butter or grease to a pan.
- Carefully crack in two eggs, let fry until whites are cooked but yolk is still runny- about 5 minutes.
- When cheese is melted, remove from heat and serve!
Amount Per Serving Calories 315Saturated Fat 8gCholesterol 111mgSodium 182mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 9g
Thanks for sharing at the party! See you again soon. Pinned & shared.
This will be my new favorite brunch or breakfast. Heck it could even be dinner. It looks very yummy!! Glad you shared at #HomeMattersParty
From Evija with Love
This looks absolutely delicious, my husband would absolutely love this! Thank you for sharing and joining our Oh My Heartsie Girl Wordless Wednesday Link Party.. Have a great day, co-host Evija @Fromevijawithlove x
Looks amazing! I would love to eat this any time of the day. Def going to make this, this weekend. Thanks for sharing & linking up @ Oh My Heartsie Girl.
Sarah-Ann @ Living Intentionally Simple
This sound delicious! I think this would work as a breakfast for dinner meal too. Pinning it so that hopefully I can make it in the future!
Delicious! Thanks for sharing #bloggersbrag