This Fried Egg Cheesy Veggie Homefries Skillet is a hearty, healthy, and filling breakfast- perfect for the morning after when you need extra veggies!
My husband and I like to joke that after a long night (and perhaps a few too many beverages), you really only need one vitamin in the morning- vitamin G. As in, vitamin Grease. Is there anything better than a rich, greasy, and filling meal when you’re feeling a bit rough in the morning?
It’s easy to over-do the grease bit and have your meal keep you feeling sluggish all day though. So I made this delicious, hearty, and actually (reasonably) healthy fried egg and cheesy veggie homefries skillet as a way to get in a lot of other (real) vitamins- though it still has a rich, indulgent taste that is so comforting on tough mornings.
Grab some orange juice and fruit- and this makes a perfectly well rounded hangover helper meal. It’s even gluten-free for those with gluten allergies!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, ghee, or clarified butter
- 2 large russet potatoes, washed well and diced into 1" squares
- 1 large zucchini, washed well and diced into 1" squares
- 1 large bell pepper, halved and diced
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup green onions
- 2 tbsp butter or grease
- 2 eggs
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt butter or heat oil until shimmery.
- Add onions and cook until browned.
- Set aside.
- Add potatoes, cook on medium high until browned.
- Remove potatoes.
- Add vegetables and cook on medium high until browned.
- Add onions and potatoes back to pan, stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and top with cheese and green onions.
- In a small pan over very high heat, add 2 tbsp butter or grease to a pan.
- Carefully crack in two eggs, let fry until whites are cooked but yolk is still runny- about 5 minutes.
- When cheese is melted, remove from heat and serve!