I’ve really been trying to find more and more foods lately that are gluten free. I’m not gluten intolerant, and my son has overcome his gluten issues- but I have noticed that during rheumatoid arthritis flare-ups I do feel worse when I eat a lot of gluten. Now, I’m not completely giving up my breads, cookies and pastas- but I am trying to limit them and even avoid during flares. So finding dishes like this Gluten and Grain Free Eggplant Lasagne that taste just as good as the gluten version always make me incredibly happy!
Not only is this recipe free of grains, it is PACKED with veggies. Which totally makes up for the fact that I completely smother lasagne in cheese….. right? If you’re sticking to a paleo diet, you’ll want to skip the cheese. But really- what is a lasagne without ooey, gooey, stringy, creamy and wonderful cheese? I do try to reduce dairy sometimes, but it is the one food I just can’t give up- and because we’re using naturally lower fat cheese (cheese is glorious and should have fat- but cottage cheese and mozzarella are options that aren’t processed to be lower fat), it isn’t a killer if you are looking for a low-fat option.
I absolutely love the meaty flavor eggplant gives this lasagne and how rich the sauce tastes. And this is the EASIEST lasange ever, because you don’t have to boil noodles- just assemble and go! Sure, there are the no-boil lasange noodles you can buy in stores, but they never work right for me. These eggplant “noodles” come out delicious everytime!
To get my noodles perfect, I used an OXO mandoline. I always had troubles with mandolines until I found a heavy duty oxo model when buying gifts with wedding cards years ago. I’d had mine over 5 years and never had any issues- and it is still perfectly sharp and efficient!
- 2 eggplants, sliced into long thing noodles with a mandoline
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup of cottage cheese
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar pasta sauce- gluten free
- In a well greased casserole dish (you can use butter or olive oil spray), lay eggplant noodles down flat.
- Layer a little sauce, peppers and onions, cottage cheese and mozzarella.
- Repeat to make 3 layers with sauce, veggies, cottage cheese and mozzarella.
- Add a final fourth layer of eggplant, top with sauce and the rest of the mozzarella.
- Cover with foil, bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, cook another 30 minutes, until cheese on top is crispy and browned and bubbly.
- Serve hot- makes fabulous leftovers.
Amount Per Serving Calories 272 Total Fat 10g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 31mg Sodium 489mg Carbohydrates 32g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 6g Sugar 10g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 16g