I was provided gluten free products from Bob’s Red Mill to try in my home. All opinions are 100% mine.
With my son Finn going gluten free, he has really been thriving and doing so well with his speech therapy and vocal development. We’re happier, healthier and more relaxed with Finn since going gluten free as a house.
But, we haven’t kicked our love for carbs. Finn in particular loves anything bread, crunchy, salty or flour based. So when Bob’s Red Mill sent us some Gluten Free mixes to try out and review, we were positively giddy to see an easy to make Gluten Free cornbread mix.
I know, I know, cornbread is normally gluten free- but some mixes do actually have trace amounts of gluten in them. Bob’s has taken care to be sure there is no trace amount of gluten in the mix!
Outside of being incredibly delicious, I love that Bob’s mixes are just as easy as you’d expect from a baking mix- AND they are organic- made from grains grown without pesticides or GMO seeds.
- 1 - 20 oz bag GF Cornbread Mix (3-1/2 cups)
- ⅓ cup Oil or melted Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1-1/2 cups Milk (rice, soy, dairy)
- 4 pieces bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
- 1 small bag shredded cheese or cheese substitute shreds- preferably sharp cheddar or a spicy jack
- ¼ cup Bob's Red Mill chia seeds
- ¼ cup Bob's Red Mill flax meal
- ¼ cup applesauce, yogurt or cultured coconut milk
- the kernels of 1 large ear of corn, or 1 can of corn, drained of all excess liquid
- Combine all ingredients except ¼ bag of shredded cheese until thoroughly mixed.
- Since I am adding chia seeds and flax meal to up the fiber content and include more Omega 3's (adding Chia is my favorite way to "spike" my son's food to get in extra nutrients), the extra moisture is imperative so it doesn't get overly dry.
- Pour into a greased baking pan (I rub the pan with a little coconut oil or spray it with pure olive oil) and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining cheese to the top of the cornbread and return to bake for another 15 minutes- until nice and golden or a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Serve with butter if desired, and enjoy!
This is a fabulous treat to take to bbq’s, picnics and get togethers- or to just serve with burgers for a quick weeknight dinner!
What is your favorite gluten free summer side dish?