One pot creamy sausage pasta skillet is simple, quick, and a family favorite! Only one dish to clean up and simple ingredients make this a huge win!
I am terrible at timing dinner. It sounds super cliche, but I like dinner to be ready right when my husband walks in the door.
It's not an antiquated gender role thing--- it is just easiest to have dinner ready for the family so we can sit down, then hurl ourselves into the bath/book before bed/settle down night time routine.
Delaying dinner means delaying bedtime, cranky kids, and cranky mom who would rather be sitting in quiet working, sipping wine, or hanging out with my husband catching up on our netflix shows.
So.... dinner timing is totally something I try really hard to have down! But, it never fails -- the kids come home, there's chaos, and I end up trying to simplify our dinners into something that will just get done, quick.
This hurried approach has me reaching more and more for delicious, simple one pot dishes- not only are they easier and faster to clean up (more netflix time!), but they tend to be simpler, with fresh ingredients, and fast. Which is exactly what we need!
This dinner is perfection- and can be customied really easily. I like to buy the uncooked italian sausage our small local grocer has - uncooked sausage lends a delicious flavor to the vegetables that I prefer to pre-cooked sausage because of the oil it releases- plus, it tends to be a lot cheaper. If you prefer a pre-cooked kind, no worries- it totally works!
You can crumble the sausage, or slice it into little bites like I did- whatever. You can also use different sausages if italian sausage is too spicy for your tastes, or swap out any of the veggies!
This pasta has SO much flavor, and is SO creamy. It is perfect!
- Don't add too much water- it will increase your cooktime since you'll want it to cook off. This will make your pasta mushy- which some people prefer, but I prefer my pasta a little al dente.
- Swap veggies to up the nutritional content! You can very easily add a zucchini, some diced eggplant, another pepper- anything you love. This gives you more food without adding calories and fat!
One Pot Creamy Sausage Pasta Skillet
- 2 italian sausage, sliced into 2" bites
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 16 oz diced tomatoes
- ½ lb cream cheese
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 12 oz box rotini
- In a large skillet, cook italian sausage until browned but not cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion and pepper, sautee until sausage is cooked through and vegetables are soft and slightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and toss.
- Add water, pasta, cheese and cream cheese and cover.
- When pasta is soft and water has cooked off, serve!
- Top with parmesan and cilantro to garnish.
Amount Per Serving Calories 218Saturated Fat 8gCholesterol 53mgSodium 322mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 6g