Looking for a great cocktail that is easy to make and perfect to cool down with? The classic Pimms Cup cocktail is light, crisp, slightly sweet, fizzy and so delicious – a summer classic.
Here at Sweet C’s, we have lots of types of readers – those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Gin & Lemonade Cocktail
Pimm’s is a gin-based fruit liqueur that is incredibly popular in England (especially southern England), that has a dark reddish color and an herbal flavor with notes of citrus. Pimm’s was established in 1823, when the owner of an oyster bar (named Pimm) created a tonic he’d serve out of a “Numer 1 cup” that helped to aid in digestion – and the Pimm’s Cup was born!
Pimm’s Cups are the unofficial drink of Wimbledon and the Chelsea Flower Show – a classic London cocktail for their short summer season – that is often mixed with British-style lemonade (lemon-lime soda, like Sprite) citrus, fruit garnishes, cucumber, and mint or other herbs.
Note on lemonade: we’re going to be calling Sprite lemonade in this recipe. One thing that surprised me about traveling to Europe is that when you order lemonade, you’re often served a fizzy lemon soda – not the lemon and sugar drink Americans think of when we’re thinking lemonade. So when referring to lemonade below, think Sprite.
Check out my web story about these delicious Pimm’s Cup cocktails.
How to Make a Pimms Cup
To make a Pimm’s Cup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Pimm’s No 1
- Sprite, 7up, or other lemon lime soda (British-style lemonade)
Next follow this method:
- Slice cucumber. I like to remove part of the peel from a cucumber before slicing for a bit of extra decorative flair – entirely optional, but it only takes a few seconds and can make a great impact!
- Add ice and lightly muddled mint or basil to glass. Add ice to a glass, along with mint or basil sprigs. Press back of spoon against herbs in glass to lightly release aroma.
- Pour pimms. Add pimms, swirling over herbs and ice as you pour.
- Top with lemonade. Use Sprite, 7-up, or other lemon lime soda (British-style lemonade) to top the glass.
- Stir to mix. Make sure your pimms and lemon lime soda mix well.
Tips and Tricks to a Perfect Pimms Cup & FAQs
Use other herbs. Mint is traditional for Pimms Cups, but you can use basil, as we have, thyme, rosemary – whatever you have fresh or love the flavor of.
Mix in fruit. Fresh berries, slices of citrus, pomegranate arils all make amazing additions to a Pimms Cup.
Use ginger ale. Try this recipe with ginger ale instead of Pimms.
Make a Glasgow Garden Party. Try this drink with my husband’s favorite soda, Irn Bru, the Scottish favorite fizzy drink!
Other Cocktails You’ll Love
Find more of our favorite easy drinks recipes here:
Pimms Cup Cocktail Recipe
If you love this easy recipe, please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Light refreshing citrus and gin-based herbal drink that is slightly sweet - a classic British summer cocktail!
- 6 slices cucumber
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 oz pimms
- 8 oz sprite or other fizzy soda-style lemonade
- sprig of mint or basil
- In a drink pitcher or cocktail stirrer, add ice and herbs. Lightly press herbs on sides of pitcher with the back of a spoon until fragrant.
- Pour Pimms around glass.
- Stir vigorously or shake.
- Pour into two glasses with ice and cucumber slices.
- Top with about 4oz sprite per glass.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Classic Cocktail Mixing Glass Set – Seamless Weighted Lead-Free Handcrafted Crystal Mixing Glass Yarai Style | Stainless Steel Bar Spoon, Hawthorne Strainer, Japanese Jigger and Glass Polishing Cloth
Bekith 6 Pack Drinking Glasses, 9.5 oz Romantic Water Glasses Tumblers, Heavy Duty Vintage Glassware Set for Whisky, Juice, Beverages, Beer, Cocktail
Amount Per Serving Calories 303Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 29mgCarbohydrates 56gFiber 1gSugar 50gProtein 1g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.