One of my son’s favorite foods has always been pizza. No matter the time, Pizza is always the answer to what he’d love to eat. Since plain old pizza can sometimes grow old (really, it can after a while of the same thing), I wanted to come up with a new way to make pizza for dinner- and find out how to make a thick gluten free pizza dough crunchy. So I figured out how to make pizza dough in a waffle iron and pizza waffles were born!
Pizza Waffles are an amazingly delicious way to make pizza for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner- anytime. And they are one of the best ways to make delicious gluten free dough. The little pockets pool sauce and hold more cheese- and when sandwiched together, this pizza becomes totally portable and a fun little cheesy sandwich!
So what are you waiting for- try pizza waffles today!
- 1 package Bob's Red Mill Gluten free pizza dough or other homemade pizza dough mix, all ingredients listed on package
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, in addition to any the mix already calls for
- 2 tablespoons warm water, in addition to any the mix calls for
- Make pizza according to package directions, plus one tablespoon olive oil and water. This will make the dough a little more runny which makes a lighter waffle.
- Spoon into a heated waffle iron that has been prepped with cooking spray.
- Cook until browned- about 6-8 minutes.
- When waffles are done, spoon sauce onto them and top with cheese, mushrooms, spinach- whatever you'd like.
- Top with another waffle.
- Bake at 350 until cheese is bubbly.
This is also a great way to “hide” veggies or other healthy options in pizza from kids. My son can find spinach that I sneak in to other pizzas (unless I chop it small), but its harder to find in this. Kids gobble them down, none the wiser!
Whats your favorite waffle recipe?