If you followed my blog recently, you’d know that during Lent, we tried to eat mostly vegan food because we’re Orthodox Christian and we give up meat and dairy every year. Well Lent may have come and gone, but we found so many delicious recipes this year that are vegan- AND we tried to keep it gluten free when we could- that I have to keep sharing some of our favorites! These Quinoa and Lentil Stuffed Peppers are an easy, delicious, and filling recipe you can throw together quickly for meatless monday or any day you’re trying to keep things a bit lighter.
And this recipe is even better because it is great for leftovers or lunches. I am trying to be better about having quick and healthy lunches my husband can take to work with him- but he doesn’t always have time to reheat or assemble a lunch. So these peppers are perfect because even cold they are delicious! (Really- you should reheat them. But if you’re rushed and you just need fuel- these are really one of the best meals to get you going mid-day!)
Since these peppers are PACKED with fiber and vegetables, they are extremely filling for vegan food. They will keep you going all day and help give you plenty of energy. Plus they are naturally gluten free!
I hope you enjoy these little guys as much as we do- they are going to become a staple around our house, no matter the time of year. And I think we will be seeing a LOT more of them next Lent!
- 4 bell peppers, cut in half and seeds discarded
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 1 cup quinoa + water (see package directions for amount needed for that brand)
- 2 cups steamed lentils
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup broccoli flourets
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (or less- please add a dash, taste, and then add more if needed to your liking)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a pan on medium high heat, add a little coconut or olive oil and heat until shimmery.
- Add diced peppers, onion, zucchini, lentils and broccoli to a pan, and sautee until soft.
- Add spices.
- Add quinoa and water to mixture and cook until quinoa's "tail" can be seen.
- Add quinoa and veggie mixture to peppers.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until peppers are soft.
- Serve warm and enjoy!