A while ago, I made a delicious, savory and completely grain and gluten free lasagne by using eggplant noodles. I went to make it again recently- when I realized I needed to be somewhere before we normally eat dinner and I didnt have time to make anything right before we’d be sitting down to eat. I’ve been trying to bump up our vegetable intake a lot lately, and still wanted to serve something delicious that fit into our healthier eating- but I didn’t have more than 10 minutes to toss it in a crockpot. Luckily, this Slow Cooker Eggplant Lasagna is the fastest, easiest, and cheesiest dish ever- you won’t realize there are no classic noodles, and the eggplant gives the dish a rich, meaty flavor while still being vegetarian. It’s a winner that your whole family will love!
I absolutely love the meaty flavor eggplant gives this lasagne and how rich the sauce tastes. And this is the EASIEST lasange ever, because you don’t have to boil noodles- just assemble and go! Sure, there are the no-boil lasange noodles you can buy in stores, but they never work right for me. These eggplant “noodles” come out delicious everytime!
To get my noodles perfect, I used an OXO mandoline. I always had troubles with mandolines until I found a heavy duty oxo model when buying gifts with wedding cards years ago. I’d had mine over 5 years and never had any issues- and it is still perfectly sharp and efficient!
- 2 eggplants, sliced into long thing noodles with a mandoline
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup of cottage cheese
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese, with 1 oz set aside
- 1 jar pasta sauce- gluten free
- In a slow cooker dish, lay eggplant noodles down flat.
- Layer a little sauce, peppers and onions, cottage cheese and mozzarella.
- Repeat to make 3 layers with sauce, veggies, cottage cheese and mozzarella.
- Add a final fourth layer of eggplant, top with sauce.
- Cover and cook on high 2½ hours, or until eggplant is softened.
- Add 1 oz of cheese that was set aside to top, cover.
- Let cook additional 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes and parsley if desired.
- Serve hot- makes fabulous leftovers.