I LOVE summer drinks. I love them so much I am devoting my whole week to delicious, refreshing summer sippers! After all, what is better in summer than a nice cool drink to help unwind on a hot day? NOTHING, I tell you!
And nothing beats having fresh fruit in your drinks. Today I am sharing my foolproof secret to delicious summer sippers in no time- Make-ahead Strawberry Simple Syrup!
This stuff is the best. I like to make a big batch and stir it into lemonade, iced tea, cocktails, wine, agua fresca and just plain old sparkling water. My kids LOVE just a little bit mixed into a sippy cup with water. It’s a gourmet treat you wont want to miss on a hot day, and it is SO easy to make.
So let’s get started!
(one note: I do recommend frozen strawberries. I buy big batches full of fresh berries and freeze them overnight, then make this syrup. Freezing the fruit helps to break down the sugars and will give you a sweeter taste- so you don’t have to add in as much sugar and the berry can shine.)
- Strawberries, about 4 cups, frozen and hulled
- 1 cup water
- 1/2-1 cup sugar, to taste
- Combine strawberries and water in a pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Simmer for 1 hour, until fruit breaks down. Do not let syrup boil over.
- Add sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, tasting in between for desired sweetness. Substitute honey or agave syrup for a paleo diet.
- Stir to combine sugar completely.
- Continue to simmer until fruit is completely soft and a thick syrup surrounds it.
- Carefully use a hand blender to liquify berries. Caution- syrup will be HOT!
- If syrup is too liquid after blending, add a little water. Too runny, let it simmer longer to reduce.
- Pour into jar and let cool.
- Refrigerate for up to one week.
What would you add this delicious syrup to? Come back tomorrow to see my new favorite recipe for it, as well as an awesome giveaway!