If you want to enjoy sweet pork but without the sugar, try this delicious sugar free sweet pork recipe!
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Savory Sugar Free Sweet Pork
I was given Zevia to try. All opinions are 100% my own.
So, all my friends in Utah have me hooked. They always talked Cafe Rio this, Cafe Rio that... and I had no idea what they were talking about. Well, when a Cafe Rio recently opened in Fort Collins, I FLIPPED when I first had the sweet pork burrito. Like, life changing. I could eat that dang burrito every single day!
Unfortunately for my waistline, I can't eat it everyday. I'd be a zillion pounds! So when I was thinking of an easy summer meal that I could recreate into a lower calorie version, Cafe Rio's sweet pork was at the top of my list.
I recently was given some Zevia to try, and wanted to work it into the recipe. I was afraid it might not turn out sweet enough (Zevia isn't an overly sweet soda, and doesn't have the sickly fake sweet taste that some artificial diet sodas have)- but I was totally pleased with how developed the flavor was.
This pork IS slightly less sweet, since we're not adding sugar- but it is a delicious version that tastes anything but diet.
Delicious Side Dishes to enjoy with your Pork
Try these delicious bbq sides with your pulled pork:
Sugar Free Sweet Pork Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Sugar Free Sweet Pork Recipe
This tender mouthwatering sweet pork is sugar free which makes it the perfect dinner for everyone to enjoy!
- 3 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 medium onion, rough chopped
- 1 can Dr. Zevia Soda
- 1 can Zevia Cola
- 3 tablespoon honey or agave syrup
- 1 can sugar free enchilada sauce, Las Palamas is a good sugar free bet
- 2 teaspoon sea salt or smoked salt (preferred)
- Salt and pepper pork shoulder liberally. If you don't have smoked salt, don't fret- but it is DELICIOUS and I'd check for it next time you're at the store.
- Place pork in a heavy ziploc bag and add sodas. Let marinate overnight.
- In a hot cast iron pan with scant olive oil, quickly brown your pork shoulder on all sides.
- While the pork is browning, pour zevia marinade and honey or agave syrup in crock pot and add medium chopped onion.
- Cook in slow cooker on high for five hours.
- When pork falls easily off bone and shreds apart when touched it is done cooking.
- Drain excess liquid and shred pork.
- If you have a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment to get perfectly shredded pork in minutes- otherwise, use two forks to pull pork apart into shreds.
- Add in can of enchilada sauce and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Serve while warm over a salad, in a taco or burrito, or over a bed of rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Cherrywood Smoked Sea Salt 5 oz. Pouch - San Francisco Salt Company
Las Palmas Enchilada Sauce, Medium, 19 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Hamilton Beach Portable 6 Quart Set & Forget Digital Programmable Slow Cooker with Lid Lock, Dishwasher Safe Crock & Lid, Temperature Probe, Stainless Steel
BOVADO USA 2.5 Quart Glass Bowl for Storage, Mixing, Serving - Clear, Dishwasher, Freezer & Oven Safe Quality Glass, Easy-Clean, 2.5 QT
Amount Per Serving Calories 465Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 122mgSodium 671mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 0gSugar 16gProtein 32g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
I have a sugar free honey alternative that I will use in place of the real honey or agave 🙂 I am thinking it should work just as well and eliminates the carbs and sugar 🙂
gregory l james
Get real honey and agave syrup are nothing but sugar there is more fructose ie bad sugar in those to ingredients then there would be in table sugar. Wake up people honey and agave are NOT healthy
yumm!!! I love a good pulled pork recipe!
I love pulled pork but have been avoiding it because of all the carbs and sugar so this looks like a delectable alternative prep method! I often pair it with a classic caesar saled... here''s my fave recipe: http://www.bitememore.com/feedme/101/creamy-caesar-salad-recipe