I was provided a STOK grill to review, however all opinions are completely 100% my own.
I've never had a triumphant success when making homemade pizza. Sure, I've tried our old standby recipes, I've tried mixing it up and trying something unique, I've tried all sorts of variations, types of dough, crazy toppings- and my husband has never, ever raved about one of my homemade pizzas. That is, he never raved about a homemade pizza I made until I made this Veggie and Pancetta Grilled Pizza.
This pizza is seriously one of the best pizzas I have ever had- homemade or not. I was a tad skeptical about adding zucchini slices (I sliced them super thin- like a pepperoni) but it tasted great. All of the vegetables mixed perfectly with the pancetta and herbed chèvre... making an insanely rich, meaty, herb filled dish you won't soon forget.
I will admit- this pizza does have a few steps. While it may seem daunting, they can all be done on the grill- and all of the pre-cooking for veggies and pancetta can be done in the same pan or griddle insert.
I'm using my new STOK grill - I chose the Tower because it is a perfect size for family dinners, and can easily be taken to a tailgate or camping! I absolutely LOVE the grill insert system- STOK grills have different inserts you can use for cooking a wide variety of food on your grill. They have a griddle plate (which would have been perfect for all of the sautéing you see pictured- but I didn't have that insert yet), a pizza stone, a mega pizza stone, a veggie basket, a chicken roaster, rib racks, and even a dutch oven!
I also didn't use my pizza stone, only because I was cooking other food that night on the grill as well, so I wanted all of the grate space possible (I love to grill veggies around the sides of the grill while cooking the main dish in the center- great way to multitask, less energy, and less to clean up!). Look for a LOT of pizza ideas coming soon- and some dishes you wouldn't normally expect to see on a pizza stone!
- 1 pizza crust
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz package pancetta
- 8-10 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 1 zucchini, washed well and sliced into very thin rounds
- 1 bell pepper, de seeded and diced
- 1 large white onion, halved and then sliced thin
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 4 oz herbed chevre
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella and asiago
- salt, pepper, basil and oregano- to taste
- On a STOK charcoal grill, start charcoal.
- When charcoal is ready spread out evenly, and use nonstick griddle insert (or use pan on griddle).
- Add pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, until some fat is rendered (about 5 minutes)
- Toss in mushrooms and onions, cook until browned.
- Remove griddle insert and shift charcoal to sides of grill.
- Place grate insert back on grill (or use pizza stone).
- Shape dough on pizza peel.
- Rub olive oil on top of pizza dough, sprinkle celtice sea salt around the edges.
- Using the pizza peel, slide dough onto grill and cook until just slightly browned and remove with pizza peel (5 minutes- this is just to help set the dough).
- Add tomato sauce, zucchini rounds and bell peppers- spread all over pizza.
- Add onion, pancetta and mushrooms.
- Top with herbed chevre- crumble with your hands to spread evenly across pizza.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Slide back onto grill with pizza peel, cook until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.