Low Carb Keto Buttery Crackle Chicken Thighs
Buttery Crackle Chicken Thighs are the most delicious, juicy, and super crunchy-crackly chicken thighs you’ll ever make! These keto fried chicken thighs taste rich and breaded – with almost no carbs and no flour, gluten, or grains!
There is nothing better than crispy, crunchy, crackly fried chicken – it is just heaven on a plate.
The only problem with frying chicken at home is it can be such a pain – and I am a fan of simple, un-fussy recipes that don’t require a ton of prep.
This chicken is delicious, crunchy, and so easy – with only a few ingredients! It tastes just like battered fried chicken thanks to some incredibly crispy skin, and full of buttery flavor.
This chicken is so delicious even my kids who normally don’t love chicken thighs gobbled it up in seconds!
Since we’re using chicken thighs, there’s less risk of drying the chicken out… but this method results in perfect, juicy chicken every time.
I mean, look how incredibly delicious it looks inside!
Make sure you buy chicken thighs with skin-on – but if you find some de-boned you can always buy that and skip cutting out the bones. I always buy bone-in simply because they are so inexpensive!
To Make This Low Carb Keto Buttery Crackle Chicken Thighs Recipe You’ll Need:
While this easy fried keto chicken recipe is super simple and requires very few tools, there are a couple of things that will help you make the most delicious, juicy, crunchy, keto fried chicken ever! These picks from my Amazon Affiliate links are items I use and are tried and true kitchen favorites. While I receive a small commission when you purchase through my links, it helps to offset costs of running Sweet C’s at absolutely no extra cost to you!
- Heavy Pan with a 2″+ lip
- Since we’re frying chicken in hot, bubbling butter it is imperative to have a pan with a decent lip on the edges so butter doesn’t splash all over, which is not only dangerous for you and your hands – but can start a kitchen fire. You can also cook this in a dutch oven if you want extra tall pan walls to prevent oil or butter splashing.
- Long Handled Tongs
- Flipping chicken in bubbling hot butter can result in burns – so I try to use long handled tongs for this recipe so my hands are a ways from the hot bubbling butter in case some splashes.
- Splatter Guard
- While this isn’t necessary at all, a splatter guard is a major timesaver (and safety precaution) anytime you’re cooking with lots of hot oil or butter. I personally love frying with them!
Keto Fried Chicken Dinner Serving Ideas
Since chicken thighs are usually a lot less expensive than chicken breasts, it’s also an economical choice that is great for families.
This recipe is an awesome base for other delicious keto foods – try some of my favorite ideas below!
- Chicken Strip Salad
- Cut Crackle Fried Chicken into strips and lay over a salad bursting with fresh vegetables and cheese for a keto fried chicken taco salad!
- Fried Chicken “burritos”
- Layer chopped chicken strips, vegetables, cheese, and cauliflower rice over cloud bread for a tasty keto chicken wrap!
- Fried Chicken with cauliflower rice and grilled vegetables on the side.
Keto Fried Chicken Thighs Seasoning Ideas
- Old Bay Keto Fried Chicken Thighs
- Old bay seasoning is the perfect way to pull out delicious
- Lemon Pepper Fried Chicken thighs
- Lemon pepper seasonings are so delicious with fried chicken- season yours with a lemon pepper seasoning blend for a delicious twist on this classic!
- Fried Taco Chicken Thighs
- Seasoning chicken thighs with taco seasonings is a delicious way to make a south of the border fried favorite!
- Blackened Fried Chicken
- Fried chicken with blackening spices is another level delicious – sprinkle generously over chicken before you cook!
- Curry Fried Chicken Thighs
- Add red curry powder, salt, pepper, and a dash of onion powder for a delicious curry take on fried chicken thighs!
Just be sure to season the MEAT side and not the fat side – or the seasonings can burn .
Low Carb Paleo Buttery Crackle Chicken Thighs Recipe
If you love this Low Carb Keto Buttery Crackle Chicken Thighs Recipe as much as I do, please write a five star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
To see me make this recipe, click the video:
- 1.5 lbs chicken medium-large bone-in chicken thighs, skin on
- 2 tbsp butter ghee/clarified
- salt and pepper to taste
Lay chicken thighs out on a cutting board, and using sharp kitchen scissors, cut out bone from thigh.
Remove bones (save them for chicken stock if you make your own!)
Pound chicken flat and make sure they are very dry, pat with paper towel if needed.
Generously salt and pepper meat side of chicken (don't salt fat side, as it can easily burn).
Heat a cast iron (or heavy) pan on high heat, so it is scorching hot (but not smoking).
Reduce heat to medium-high.
Add ghee/butter to pan, and let melt.
Add chicken to pan, starting with the fat side down.
Let fat crisp and chicken brown, about 7 minutes.
Flip chicken and cook until 165 degrees internal temp - about 6 minutes.
Let rest 2-5 minutes and pat off any excess butter softly with a paper towel.
If desired, cut chicken into strips.