Perfect juicy, tender lobster tail with a rich lemon butterflied to perfection in your oven in just 10 minutes for a restaurant-quality lobster tail recipe at home that is easy to prepare and totally impressive!
10 minutes is all you need for perfectly broiled lobster tails that taste a million times better than the ones from your local steakhouse - you can make them at home anytime you want a gourmet seafood dinner!
Here at Sweet C's, we have lots of types of readers - those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
The Best Lobster Tail Recipe Ever
This super easy Broiled Lobster Tails Recipe is the absolute best way to cook lobster tails at home, ever!
We're giving these beautifully butterflied lobster tails a slightly smoky flavor with a touch of paprika, as well as a sweet and salty hit of butter and lemon juice to bring out that sweet, delicious clean seafood flavor. If you want a never fail easy oven-baked lobster tails recipe, this is it!
Serve with prime rib, pork tenderloin, bacon wrapped scallops, or buttery soft rolls for a memorable romantic dinner! If you want to try an even easier version, be sure to check out our Instant Pot Lobster Tails recipe or our Grilled Lobster Tails Recipe based off this very recipe!
While making lobster can be complicated, it really shouldn't be - so we're breaking down the steps in a way that is simple enough for even beginner cooks to understand and make a show stopping meal from buying lobster, to opening the shell, and how to broil lobster tail.
We're going to walk you through the steps to solve problems most people come across when making a lobster tail recipe :
- what lobster tail to buy - we're going to show you what to buy and give you the confidence to pick the right lobster.
- how to prep lobster tails - including how to cut them open, and how to get them ready to cook so you don't ruin your expensive ingredients!
- how to cook lobster tails in the oven - using your broiler for the best taste and texture.
- how to butterfly a lobster tail
- how to cook lobster without any fishy cooking smell.
- how to make your lobster look great - using a simple trick that also helps season lobster, too!
- what to serve alongside lobster tails - and other recipes you can make with lobster meat - plus more lobster tail recipes!
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do.
Broiled Lobster Tail Recipe In The Oven
This guide will help get you perfect broiled lobster tails, every time - from shopping, storing, prep, cooking - and serving!
To make this recipe, you'll need:
- Baking Sheet - since broiling is the cooking method we're using, placing lobster on a baking sheet is the best way to cook in the oven without making a mess.
- Kitchen Shears - kitchen shears help to expose the flesh side of the lobster so you can open the shell quickly by cutting it lengthwise, and cook the lobster at high heat, broiling the tails to juicy perfection!
- Rapid read digital thermometer - to get perfectly cooked lobster meat, it is easiest to use a digital thermometer to be sure you've hit the right temperature.
- Smoked Paprika - paprika has fruity, slightly sweet notes and vivid red color, it brightens the flesh of lobster tails as they cook, and gives a smoky flavor that lightly accents the gently sweet, buttery flavor of lobster meat.
- 2 Lobster tails - look for high quality tails that are fresh-frozen and haven't been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate.
- Butter - butter brings a rich, salty, and indulgent flavor to shellfish that is a classic way to enhance lobster meat's delicate flavor without overpowering it.
- Celtic sea salt - I prefer using a high quality sea salt with less sodium than table salt or salty butters - giving you more control of the flavor of your dinner. Seafood can be salty on it's own, so using a high quality salt can help you control flavor without it being overpowering.
- Garlic powder - garlic brings a rich, earthy flavor to lobster tails that is addictive, sumptuous, and enhances a lobster's delicate flavor. We're using garlic powder instead of raw garlic in this recipe to minimize some of the "heat" raw garlic can have, as it can overpower the mild flavors of this seafood.
- White pepper - white pepper has had the skin removed, so it is milder and less spicy - giving it a bit of a kick, but allowing you to taste more of the layered earthy pepper flavors without completely overpowering your lobster.
How to butterfly lobster tails. A simple cut down the top of the shell is all you need to peel back your tail for a beautiful presentation - cut it down the middle for a butterflied tail.
- Use sharp kitchen scissors or a sharp knife to cut the shell, and make a clean cut lengthwise down the tail from the base to the tip so you don’t get any of the shell in the tail meat.
- Cutting the shell open before cooking will speed up your cooking process and make it easier to judge when the lobster tail has fully cooked - as well as give a chance for the lobster tail meat to soak up tons of deliciously rich flavor from the butter.
- You can also easily tell when the lobster meat is opaque but opening the tail up, so you don’t overcook your lobster tails!
- I also try to remove the lobster meat from the shell where they are connected underneath - both to put a lemon wedge down to prop up the meat as it cooks, but also to make it easier to eat when it is done.
Once your lobster tails have been butterflied, it's very quick work to season and broil them to perfection!
- Preheat broiler to high before you begin to butterfly lobster tails, so that when you're done, it is ready to go!
- Mix spices in a small bowl, and then generously sprinkle over lobster tail, topping with a pat of butter. Alternatively, you could melt butter and add the spices to butter and baste lobster tails with melted butter and herbs - but I usually use cold butter to save a step.
- Place lobster tails on a baking sheet (I'll often lay tinfoil or parchment down, which is not necessary to be nonstick as the shell will work to keep the lobster meat from sticking, but rather will make your cleanup a breeze) in oven on an upper middle rack. Don't get too close to broiler, or your lobster will burn on top and still be raw on the bottom - we want it to cook quickly with high heat from above, but it should not be placed immediately under broiler, and instead in the upper-middle part of your oven.
- Let cook until meat is opaque and white, about 8-10 minutes. A digital thermometer will read 140 degrees when lobster is fully cooked - never cook a lobster beyond 140 degrees for the best results.
- Remove and serve immediately with drawn butter, either still in the shell, or removed from the shell for guests easy eating.
Tips for Perfect Broiled Lobster Tails & FAQs
How to buy the best lobster tails. When looking for a lobster tail at the store, it helps to have a bit of information to buy the best tails! You want a lobster tail with no discoloration on the meat, no fishy smell (it should smell slightly sweet and have a neutral smell), and not look slimy. Lobster tails should not be soaked or rinsed with sodium tripolyphosphate or other preservative chemicals - and should be fresh-frozen if not live or freshly caught.
How lobster tails are weighed and sized. Despite being sold by the pound, a single 1-lb. lobster will weigh approximately 14 oz. when cooked. Lobster will yield 3.5 to 4 oz. of meat when the shell is removed - and this holds true for tails too, as a decent amount of a Lobster tails weight is in the shell (don't worry you're wasting that great shell - you can use it in stocks or soups to get great lobster flavor to other dishes!)
How many lobster tails to serve per person. If you're making lobster tails as the main dish, you'll want to pay attention to the lobster tail size and weight to be sure you have enough lobster to fill you up. In general, you should plan for about 8-10 oz of cooked lobster tail meat per person if you're serving lobster tails as your main dish - meaning two lobster tails per person, unless they are jumbo lobster tails.
How to thaw frozen lobster tails. While fresh is always best, fresh-frozen lobster tails are delicious when thawed properly.
- Always let frozen lobster tails thaw fully before cooking.
- Place frozen Lobster tails in the fridge the day before you make these to thaw naturally. We like to let it sit on paper towels to soak up any ice melt.
- Submerge frozen lobster tails under cold water for 20 minutes to 30 minutes to thaw rapidly if you can't let them thaw overnight.
- Don't rush the thawing process in the microwave. Defrosting lobster tails in the microwave will make the frozen lobster meat tough.
Where to place lobster in oven. Broil lobster tail by placing on a baking sheet in the middle rack of the oven, underneath a broiler.
Use paprika. For best presentation, brush top of lobster tail with melted butter and sprinkle with paprika and white pepper before broiling, so the butter and paprika can cook into top of lobster creating a lovely golden red hue. I like both smoked or hot paprika - you can pick if you'd prefer a bit of smoky or a bit of spicy.
Plan about 10 minutes of cooktime. This recipe calls for about 10 minutes of cook time - which will vary a bit based on the size of your lobster tail, your oven, and if you preheat the broiler fully before adding lobster tails to oven. If you have a very large lobster tail it will take a bit longer - but smaller tails should be perfect at around 10 minutes, or about 2 minutes + a minute per ounce.
How To Tell When Lobster Tail is Cooked:
- To ensure your lobster tail is perfectly cooked, insert a digital meat thermometer into the fattest part of the lobster tail (take caution to keep the thermometer away from the shell.)
- Fully cooked lobster will be 140 degrees internal temperature.
- Your lobster shell will turn bright white and red when cooked, but look to the meat inside for the most reliable indication.
- If your lobster still looks grey it's not cooked - if it is white and pink, it's done.
Do NOT overcook lobster - it will result in tough, gummy meat and a fishier flavor.
Set your oven's broiler on high - or between 400 and 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place your oven rack in the middle of the oven, so lobster tails don't touch broiler or get so close they burn.
I use a little paprika, butter, salt, or Old Bay Seasoning to season lobsters.
Use just a pinch, but feel free to try other herbs and spices to your taste.
Lobster is fully cooked at 135-140 degrees Fahrenheit.
Lobster meat will go from grey and translucent to bright pink and white and opaque when fully cooked.
Lobster tails thaw best over night in the refrigerator but can also be thawed in about an hour and a half by submerging in cold water.
Place lobster tails in a plastic bag and submerge in cold water, changing the water every 15 minutes, for about an hour and a half, until lobster tails have thawed.
How To Serve Lobster Tails
Lobster tail can look a little wimpy on it's own sometimes, so if you're going for a romantic presentation of your lobster dinner for a special occasion and want to know how to wow guests, I have some great tips and tricks for you!
- Placing lemon wedges to cook under lobster meat also helps make tails look larger and prettier for a better presentation.
- Make sure to have plenty of lemon wedges on the side to squeeze on top for even more lemon juice if you'd like it!
- Brush melted butter over the top of lobster as it cooks for a gorgeous golden red appearance.
- Serve with melted butter, a butter mixture with old bay stirred in, or lemon juice sprinkled on top.
If you're looking for some delicious side dishes to serve with lobster tail, find our complete side dish recipe archive here, or find some of our favorites below:
10 Minute Broiled Lobster Tails Recipe
If you love The Best Easy Broiled Lobster Tails Recipe as much as I do, please write a five star review (just click the stars below), and be sure to help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
This 10 Minute Perfect Broiled Lobster Tails Recipe is the quickest, tastiest, and easiest way to cook lobster tails- get perfect oven broiled lobster tails every time! The best of the recipes to lobster tail in the oven for a restaurant style lobster tail dinner in under 10 minutes.
- 2 Lobster tails
- 1 ½ tablespoon butter, divided
- pinch celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Set lobster tails on a baking sheet or in an oven safe dish.
- With sharp kitchen scissors or a knife, carefully cut the top of the lobster tail shell down to the tip of the tail, avoiding the meat. Devein and remove any grit if needed.
- Carefully pull shell down, so meat looks like it is sitting on top of shell and open.
- To make it look even better, slide a lemon wedge or two under the lobster meat in between the meat and the tail.
- Mix spices in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle with spices.
- Add small pats of butter along the lobster tail.
- Place in oven on an upper middle rack.
- Let cook until meat is opaque and white, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately with drawn butter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Maine Lobster Now - Maine Lobster Tails 8oz - 10oz (2 Tails)
Frontier Smoked Ground Bottle, Paprika, 1.87 Ounce
KitchenAid All Purpose Shears with Protective Sheath, 8.72-Inch, Gray
Pride Of Szeged Hungarian Hot Paprika, Authentic Hungarian Sourced, Single Ingredient Premium Spice | Gluten Free | Kosher | Non-GMO | 1.7 oz. Tin, 1-Count
Artesia Organic Garlic Powder, 1.27 oz (Pack of 4)
Zicome Set of 4 Silicone Pastry Basting Grill Barbecue Brush - Solid Core and Hygienic Solid Coating - 4 Bright Colored Red, Blue, Orange, Green - 8-¾ Inch Long
JOHO BAKING Non-Stick Cookie Sheet Pan Set,Baking Sheets for oven,Nonstick Bakeware Set Baking Tray,13inch,2-Piece,Champagne Gold
McCormick Gourmet, Ground White Pepper, 1.75 oz
Serving Size1 tail
Amount Per Serving Calories 208Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 99mgSodium 554mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 23g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
You can find this recipe in our best lobster recipes web story here.