Jan 06, 2014, Updated Aug 04, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This spicy cheesy enchilada casserole is packed with chicken for a budget friendly delicious dinner your whole family will love!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Cheesy Enchilada Casserole
We LOVE enchiladas over here. Whether vegan for lent, bean and cheese, or chicken- we just can’t get enough. This Enchilada Casserole is our go-to dish- it is so delicious and can be adapted to any filling you like! I’m making these as Chicken below, but mushroom and spinach, beans and rice, and even crabmeat are delicious fillings, too!
If you pay close attention to your tortillas, you can also make these gluten-free! (make sure they are Corn, and do not contain gluten- you’ll also want to check your enchilada sauce and tomatoes/green chilis for any preservatives with gluten).
I’m using my super delicious, quick and awesome Shredded Chicken as the filling. I totally recommend this as filling for Enchilada Casserole- it is so delicious, moist, and perfect for casseroles!
More Delicious Dinners
Try these other fan favorite dinners next!
Enchilada Casserole Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 large can enchilada sauce
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Grease a large 9x13 casserole dish, spread out a small layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom. This will help your tortillas from sticking.
- Lay out corn tortillas across the bottom of the pan- much like you would lasagna. I lay it out so there are no gaps- but it won't ruin it if there are.
- Then layer more enchilada sauce, all the shredded chicken and some cheese.
- Repeat with another layer of tortillas.
- Spread the rest of the enchilada sauce, making sure to get all over the top of the tortillas- it keeps it from drying out.
- Sprinkle cheese to the top and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
JoyJolt JoyFul 24pc Borosilicate Glass Storage Containers with Lids. 12 Airtight, Freezer Safe Food Storage Containers, Pantry Kitchen Storage Containers, Glass Meal Prep Container for Lunch
Professional Cheese Grater - Stainless Steel, XL Size, 4 Sides - Perfect Box Grater for Parmesan Cheese, Vegetables, Ginger - Dishwasher Safe - Black
Pyrex Deep 9x13-Inch Glass Baking Dish with Lid, Deep Casserole Dish, Glass Food Container, Oven, Freezer and Microwave Safe, Clear Container
SOMOS Red Enchilada Sauce, 12 OZ
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 531Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 125mgSodium 646mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 3gSugar 1gProtein 38g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.