We LOVE enchiladas over here. Whether vegan for lent, bean and cheese, or chicken- we just can't get enough. This Enchilada Casserole is our go-to dish- it is so delicious and can be adapted to any filling you like! I'm making these as Chicken below, but mushroom and spinach, beans and rice, and even crabmeat are delicious fillings, too!
If you pay close attention to your tortillas, you can also make these gluten-free! (make sure they are Corn, and do not contain gluten- you'll also want to check your enchilada sauce and tomatoes/green chilis for any preservatives with gluten).
I'm using my super delicious, quick and awesome Shredded Chicken as the filling. I totally recommend this as filling for Enchilada Casserole- it is so delicious, moist, and perfect for casseroles!
I'm using my slow cooked shredded chicken recipe for filling. For that recipe, head here. (sorry- its an old post so the pics are a bit dated- but the taste is GREAT!)
- 1 large can enchilada sauce, I love Roberto's - if you live in Colorado you HAVE to try it!!
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large casserole dish, spread out a small layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom. This will help your tortillas from sticking.
- Lay out corn tortillas across the bottom of the pan- much like you would lasagne. I lay it out so there are no gaps- but it won't ruin it if there are.
- Then layer more enchilada sauce, all the shredded chicken and some cheese.
- Repeat with another layer of tortillas.
- Spread the rest of the enchilada sauce, making sure to get all over the top of the tortillas- it keeps it from drying out.
- Sprinkle cheese to the top and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 419Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 75mgSodium 595mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 3gSugar 1gProtein 21g