Goat Cheese and Tomato Tarts
Jan 10, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These goat cheese and tomato tarts have a crisp shell layered with juicy tomatoes fresh thyme, flakey sea salt and tangy goat cheese. Enjoy these tarts as an appetizer or with a side salad for lunch.
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Puff Pastry Chevre Tomato Tarts
There is nothing that I love more in the summertime than a slice of tomato fresh from the garden topped with a sprinkle of flakey salt. Even if you don’t have a kitchen garden you can find some amazing fresh grown tomatoes at farmers markets and even grocery stores. This tart recipe makes the best of whatever tomatoes you can find, even if they aren’t in season!
These goat cheese and tomato tarts are a celebration of rich sweet acidic tomatoes and creamy salty goat cheese. These tarts are made all the more fantastic because they are made using puff pastry – one of my all-time favorite ingredients. They can be arranged fancy to impress guests or homely for a quick snack or brunch!
How to make Goat Cheese and Tomato Tarts
Assemble the following ingredients:
- Puff pastry – puff pastry is a great base for these tarts, it’s crisp and flakey and holds up well with the juicy tomatoes.
- Tomatoes – I’m using a mix of multicolor heirloom and cherry tomatoes (because I love the colors) but you could use pretty much any tomato you like. Just remember to slice them thin (no thicker than ?”) and try to choose tomatoes that aren’t too wet.
- Goat Cheese – I love goat cheese with tomatoes! It’s creamy and tangy and holds up well when baked. You can use any goat cheese, I personally prefer Boursin.
- Thyme – this fresh herb pairs perfectly with goat cheese and tomatoes. If you don’t have fresh, you could use dried thyme.
- Olive oil – helps the tomatoes crisp slightly in the oven.
- Egg and water – egg wash helps brown the puff pastry so you get a lovely color.
- Basil and Sea Salt- flakey sea salt and fresh basil make a great garnish; the tomatoes need the seasoning from the salt and the basil pairs well with classic tomato.
Once you have assembled the ingredients use the following method:
- Prep the pastry. Lay out your cold pastry onto a cutting board and cut into 6 rectangular pieces. Place them on a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Assemble Tarts – Sprinkle the goat cheese over the rectangles and place a few slices of tomato on each leaving some space around the edge. Sprinkle each tart with fresh thyme and drizzle a bit of olive oil over the tomatoes to help them crisp in the oven.
- Shape the pastry. Brush the edges of the tart with the egg wash then fold the sides in slightly and pinch the corners, to form a “boat” to keep the tomatoes in. Brush the edges again with the egg wash and sprinkle flakey salt over each tart.
- Bake. Bake these tarts at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes until they are crisp and golden. Enjoy them hot or at room temperature. Garnish with fresh basil or balsamic glaze.
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Goat Cheese and Tomato Tarts
Keep the puff pastry cold. Make sure you keep the puff pastry cold. If it warms up it won’t puff up since the butter will melt out of it.
Use fresh ripe tomatoes. Having the best tasting tomatoes possible is key for these tarts so if you can get fresh tomatoes or just high-quality tomatoes, you will get the best end result.
Store any leftover tarts in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days. The crust will soften as the tarts sit so enjoy as many of them as you can when they’re freshly baked.
If you don’t have or can’t use goat cheese you can use cream cheese that has been whipped up and softened.
What to Serve With Goat Cheese Tomato Tarts
Once you have enjoyed these delicious savory tarts try these favorites!
Goat Cheese and Tomato Tarts Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed but still very cold
- 1 ½ cup sliced tomatoes (see notes)
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large egg, beaten with a splash of water
- 1 1/2 tsp Flakey sea salt
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Unfold the puff pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface and cut it along the folds to form 3 long rectangles. Cut each rectangle in half to form six (approximately 3”x4”) rectangles. Place the rectangles on the parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese over each rectangle of puff pastry.
- Layer a few slices of tomato on each piece of puff pastry. You’ll want to use 3-4 slices; enough to cover the center of the tart and leave a ¼” border.
- Next sprinkle fresh thyme evenly over each tart. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil.
- Brush the edges of the tarts with beaten egg and then fold the edges up a bit to form a boat around the tomatoes– this will help prevent the tomatoes from moving. The pastry will not fully cover the tomatoes.
- Brush the edges of the tart again with egg wash and sprinkle flakey sea salt over the tarts (about ¼ teaspoon per tart but feel free to do it to taste).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the tarts are crisp and golden brown.
- Enjoy these tarts warm or at room temperature. They are delicious as-is but would also be great topped with fresh basil, additional fresh thyme, and/or a drizzle of thick balsamic glaze
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
[Set of 2] Premium Stainless Steel Salt Grinder & Pepper Mill Set for Peppercorns Sea Salt Himalayan Salt and Spices, Thumb Push Button for 1 Hand Operation
MMmat Quarter Sheet Silicone Baking Mats - Best German Silicone - Set of 2
365 by Whole Foods Market, Oil Olive Extra Virgin Mediterranean Organic, 33.8 Fl Oz
Saltverk Flaky Sea Salt, 3.17 Ounces of Handcrafted Gourmet Salt Flakes from Iceland
Pack of 2 Silicone Solid Turner ,Non Stick Slotted Kitchen Spatulas ,High Heat Resistant BPA Free Cooking Utensils ,Ideal Cookware for Fish ,Eggs ,Pancakes (Gray)
USA Pan Bakeware Half Sheet Pan, Set of 2, Aluminized Steel
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 116Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 40mgSodium 694mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 5g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.