Spicy Vegan Portobello Mexican Burgers
Aug 01, 2018, Updated Apr 11, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Banish weird fake patties for good with this delicious spicy vegan portobello mexican burger – full of rich, meaty flavor, tons of fiber, and just real, fresh foods.
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Delicious, Quick, and Easy Spicy Vegan Portobello Burgers
Mexican vegan burgers are a delicious, quick dinner that is filling and full of robust and spicy meaty flavor!
Low calorie, high in protein and fiber, these are a delicious swap for vegan dinners, meat free Mondays, or just upping your veggie intake!
This Mexican vegan burger is also perfect for those who observe Orthodox Christian fasting periods – it is made without olive oil and is great to fill you up all day.
Vegan and burgers don’t go together.
They just DON’T.
Don’t get me wrong, I have had some delicious vegan patties, and downright lip-smacking vegan sandwiches- but when I think BURGER, I think meaty, rich, delicious— and filling!
My big complaint with vegan burgers is the massive amount of soy that usually comes with them. Look- there are some good “burger” patties, but I prefer to eat fresh, whole foods whenever I can.
This burger is a honking Portobello mushroom, loaded up with rich and buttery peppers and onions, some beans with a hint of lime, heirloom tomato slices, and some banana peppers for a bit of tangy zing.
It is a delicious, filling, and healthy meal that doesn’t taste healthy. You won’t even notice the lack of meat or cheese – and trust me, cheese is one thing I am obsessed with (I often let people know that cheese is literally my best friend.)
Tips and Tricks
Season and Cook well. Season your Portobello well, and cook it a bit more slowly than you would a meat patty. By cooking it a little slower and lower, you can cook out a bit of the mushroom’s moisture- which will make it feel less “slimy” (which is the #1 complaint I hear from people eating mushroom-based burgers.) It will also add to the rich, meaty flavor.
Low and Slow. Let your mushrooms and onions cook slow and low as well. The flavor you’re adding from them is going to add to the meaty and buttery flavors in the burger, and rushing them won’t let them fully develop.
Perfect Sides to enjoy with your Spicy Mexican Mushroom Burger
Spicy Vegan Portobello Mexican Burgers
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut in half and then sliced into thin slices
- 1 bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 tsp taco seasoning, divided
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup whole or refried black beans with lime, divided
- 2 buns of your choice, pretzel buns pictured
- 1-2 tbsp salsa, hot
- banana peppers, to garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a heavy cast iron pan on medium, while heating another large skillet on medium.
- Lay the portobello mushrooms in one of the pans and add the grape seed oil to the other.
- Heat olive oil until shimmery.
- Add onions in to pan and stir well.
- Flip portobello over and keep flipping sides every 4-5 minutes.
- When portobello is dark and reduced in size by half, sprinkle with taco seasoning, salt and pepper, and cayenne pepper and cook on each side for one more minute.
- Add peppers to pan with onions, stir. Let onions and peppers cook until nicely browned, about 15 minutes.
- Spread beans on the bottom of bun, and then add portobello when cooked. Layer onions and peppers over mushroom, and top with a slice of an heirloom tomato, banana peppers, and a bit of salsa and add the top bun.
- Eat immediately and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 479Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 11mgSodium 25mgCarbohydrates 79gFiber 16gSugar 13gProtein 19g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.