Vegan Philly Cheese Steak Hoagies
Mar 27, 2016, Updated Oct 29, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Vegan Philly Cheese Steak Hoagies are full of meaty flavor with no fake cheese or meat- just fresh mushrooms, onions, and peppers! Our favorite vegan meal and perfect for lent. 19 grams of protein for a filling meal!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Vegan Cheesesteaks on Hoagies
Philly cheese steaks are one of those things that to me just can’t be beat.
They are delicious and full of flavor- and when done right (wit wiz, natch), they they are truly epic.
When I am trying to add a few more nutritional meals into my week or following our church’s fasting schedule (I am Orthodox Christian, and we fast from meat and animal products regularly around the calendar, especially during Lent), I look for delicious, comforting and “meaty” meal ideas that are full of flavor.
I don’t really love soy-based meat and cheese substitutes, so I try to find real foods that taste great and are easy to prepare. These Vegan Philly Cheese Steak Hoagies are fill of fiber, protein and low fat – perfect for healthy vegan meals!
So much of this recipe counts on building flavor without adding calories. To do this, you really need to let the vegetables cook- don’t rush them!
Cooking vegetables well allows a rich, meaty flavor to develop.
This recipe is a bit higher-calorie than many of my favorite vegan meals, but that comes from the fluffy, delicious hoagie bun.
If you’re going for a low-carb, low calorie diet, I’d suggest popping the filling in a pita pocket, serving over a salad, or eating it as-is from the skillet!
What to Enjoy with your Philly Cheese Steak
A vegan Philly cheesesteak can be a delightful and savory main course that’s full of flavor, and there are plenty of delicious side dishes and accompaniments that can enhance your dining experience. Here’s what you might consider enjoying with your vegan Philly cheesesteak:
Crispy Sweet Potato Fries or Wedges:
- Sweet potatoes offer a nutritious and flavorful twist to traditional fries. Baking them in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil and your choice of herbs can create a crispy, sweet, and savory side that complements the savory notes of the cheesesteak.
Pickled Vegetables or Coleslaw:
- A tangy, crunchy pickled vegetable medley or a vinegar-based coleslaw can add a refreshing contrast to the rich flavors of the cheesesteak, balancing the overall meal.
- A light side salad with fresh greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and a light vinaigrette can add a fresh and crunchy element to your meal.
Steamed or Grilled Vegetables:
- Seasonal vegetables, either steamed or grilled, can provide a healthy and colorful side option. Think asparagus, broccoli, or bell peppers seasoned with herbs and a touch of olive oil.
Vegan Cheese Sauce or Dip:
- A side of vegan cheese sauce for dipping can amplify the cheesy experience of your Philly cheesesteak.
- Just like with a traditional Philly cheesesteak, a few crisp pickle spears on the side can add a zesty and crunchy element.
Chilled Lemonade or Iced Tea:
- A refreshing beverage like freshly squeezed lemonade or iced tea can cleanse the palate and enhance the flavors of your vegan cheesesteak.
Dessert – Vegan Ice Cream or Sorbet:
- For dessert, a scoop of vegan ice cream or sorbet can provide a sweet end to your meal.
Baked Chips or Pretzels:
- If you’re looking for something to crunch on, baked chips or pretzels can be a lighter alternative to fried chips.
Homemade Guacamole or Salsa:
- A side of guacamole or salsa can add a refreshing and zesty element, especially if your cheesesteak has some spicy components.
Try these other delicious vegan recipes:
Vegan Philly Cheese Steak Hoagies Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced in half and then into slices
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced into long thin strips
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed, cut into long thin strips
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 cup banana peppers
- 2 hoagie rolls
- 1 1/2 tbsp Montreal steak seasoning
- vegannaise, optional
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat oil.
- Add onions and peppers, sautee on medium high, stirring often to prevent burning, until lightly browned (about 8 minutes).
- Add shiitakes and portobellos, continue cooking until mushrooms are browned and softened, another 5-8 minutes.
- When vegetables are softened and nicely browned, add montreal steak seasoning. Mix well.
- Serve into toasted hoagie rolls and top with banana peppers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Bamboo Cutting Boards for Kitchen, Extra Large Wood Cutting Board with Deep Juice Groove and Handle Heavy Duty Chopping board, Kikcoin, 17.6" x 12"
WÜSTHOF Gourmet 7" Hollow Edge Santoku Knife,Black
HexClad Hybrid Nonstick Frying Pan, 12-Inch, Stay-Cool Handle, Dishwasher and Oven Safe, Induction Ready, Compatible with All Cooktops
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 296Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 9mgSodium 1370mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 9gSugar 11gProtein 12g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.