Vegan Philly Cheese Steak Hoagies are full of meaty flavor with no fake cheese or meat- just fresh mushrooms, onions, and peppers! Our favorite vegan meal and perfect for lent. 19 grams of protein for a filling meal!
Philly cheese steaks are one of those things that to me just can’t be beat.
They are delicious and full of flavor- and when done right (wit wiz, natch), they they are truly epic.
When I am trying to add a few more nutritional meals into my week or following our church’s fasting schedule (I am Orthodox Christian, and we fast from meat and animal products regularly around the calendar, especially during Lent), I look for delicious, comforting and “meaty” meal ideas that are full of flavor.
I don’t really love soy-based meat and cheese substitutes, so I try to find real foods that taste great and are easy to prepare. These Vegan Philly Cheese Steak Hoagies are fill of fiber, protein and low fat – perfect for healthy vegan meals!
So much of this recipe counts on building flavor without adding calories. To do this, you really need to let the vegetables cook- don’t rush them!
Cooking vegetables well allows a rich, meaty flavor to develop.
This recipe is a bit higher-calorie than many of my favorite vegan meals, but that comes from the fluffy, delicious hoagie bun.
If you’re going for a low-carb, low calorie diet, I’d suggest popping the filling in a pita pocket, serving over a salad, or eating it as-is from the skillet!
Vegan Philly Cheese Steak Hoagies
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1 large onion, sliced in half and then into slices
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced into long thin strips
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed, cut into long thin strips
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 cup - 1/2 cup bananna peppers
- 2 hoagie rolls
- 1 1/2 tbsp montreal steak seasoning
- vegannaise, optional
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat oil.
- Add onions and peppers, sautee on medium high, stirring often to prevent burning, until lightly browned (about 8 minutes).
- Add shiitakes and portobellos, continue cooking until mushrooms are browned and softened, another 5-8 minutes.
- When vegetables are softened and nicely browned, add montreal steak seasoning. Mix well.
- Serve into toasted hoagie rolls and top with banana peppers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 433 Saturated Fat: 1.6g Sodium: 2477mg Carbohydrates: 74.4g Fiber: 14.4g Sugar: 16.2g Protein: 17g