Looking for some delicious, easy to make and healthy side dishes? This Green Chili Guacamole is a great option and is so easy to make! You’ll get in a bunch of healthy veggies with a ton of flavor.
And really- this couldn’t be any easier!
This guacamole is great as a healthier alternative to fat-loaded dips, as a creamy salad dressing, or in tacos and burritos.
One note- don’t skimp on the lemon or lime juice. The acid helps to cut the onion flavor, but it also help to keep the avocados from turning super brown as it oxidizes, much like it helps with keeping apples from looking gross and brown as they sit out. If you are making this ahead of a party, you could assemble it without the avocados and just add them right before serving, or be sure to add lemon or lime juice and covering in a small, airtight container.
- 3 avocados
- 1/2 a large white onion, diced very small
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis, I get the mild, but it's also good with hot if you like it extra spicy!
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- In a large bowl, add tomatoes and can of diced tomatoes with green chills and mix.
- Cut avocados in half and remove pit.
- Spoon out avocado, and add it to bowl.
- Mash with a potato masher until very soft and creamy, mixing as you go.
- Serve with chips, on salads, in burritos, or in tacos, and enjoy!
- (tip: the lemon juice helps keep avocados from turning too brown if you plan on making ahead of time- but it will brown the longer you keep it on hand, even though it still tastes fine.)
Amount Per Serving Calories 176 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 12g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 305mg Carbohydrates 12g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 7g Sugar 1g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 3g
One note- the onion can be STRONG in chili since it isn’t cooked. If you prefer red onions go for it! If want a less-onioney flavor, you could use less (1/4 an onion would be good), or sub out fresh onion for a tablespoon onion powder.
You can also add some fresh garlic or garlic powder for an extra kick- and lime juice is another great variation!