Instant Pot Paleo Kung Pao Chicken
Jan 24, 2017, Updated Dec 24, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Quick and easy Instant Pot Paleo Kung Pao Chicken is delicious and tastes better than takeout in less time than it takes to order! Paleo and Whole 30 compliant.
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken
One of my favorite things to eat from takeout is Kung Pao Chicken – it’s a little spicy, a little salty, and bursting with flavor. Kung Pao Chicken isn’t the healthiest or wisest take-out option. However, it is super easy to make at home, and really adaptable to specialty diets like Paleo or Whole 30.
When I recently got an Instant Pot (who else has one? So far, it really IS worth all the hype!!!!) I wanted to try out a ton of new recipes – and this Skinny Kung Pao Chicken has been one of my favorites so far!
How to make Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken
First you will want to assemble the following ingredients:
- Vegetable oil – I use vegetable oil since it has a very high smoke point. You can use olive oil or mix vegetable oil with another oil if you want.
- Chicken – you want to use skinless chicken breast cut into cubes as the protein for this recipe.
- Zucchini, Red bell pepper, and Onion – you can use any vegetable combination you want, make sure they are diced. I like using these three since they all have different flavors and textures.
- Garlic – minced garlic gives a strong punch to this chicken, use fresh minced garlic.
- Cashews or peanuts – these are optional but give a nice crunch and nuttiness to this chinese favorite.
- Green onion – green onions are the perfect garnish for this recipe since they add a fresh lift without having that super pungent onion flavor.
- Ground black pepper, Red pepper flakes, Ginger – these spices define the kung pao sauce.
- Garlic coconut aminos or soy sauce – this is the base for the kung pao sauce, use regular soy sauce if you aren’t paleo/Whole 30.
Once you have assembled the ingredients use the following method
Cook the chicken. Put oil to the instant pot and sautéed until the chicken is lightly browned.
Add other ingredients. Add the vegetables and garlic, stir. Put the sauces in the Instant Pot add the lid set and seal.
Cook. Cook on Meat or a similar setting (depending on your Instant Pot) for 30 minutes on Low pressure or for 15 minutes on High pressure. Release the pressure.
Serve. Serve this over our favorite cauliflower rice if Paleo or Whole 30 or regular rice. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken
Mix up the veggies. Feel free to use different vegetables than what I recommend here. I like to use a few that have different textures and are cut in different sizes.
Double the sauce. If you want enough sauce to soak some of that flavor into your rice, you can double the sauce for this recipe.
You can make it vegan. To make this vegan double the sauce and marinate pressed cubed Tofu in the sauce. Cook the vegetables in the slow cooker then add the tofu when serving. You can also just double up on the vegetables if you prefer.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Yes, you just add all the ingredients and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
Other recipes you can make in your Instant Pot
If you are on a Paleo or Whole 30 Diet, try enjoying it with our Best Ever Cauliflower Rice!
Check out these amazing Instant Pot recipes you can try next.
Instant Pot Paleo Kung Pao Chicken Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs Chicken, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped red or white
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup cashews or peanuts, optional
- Green onion, to garnish
For the Sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2/3 cup garlic coconut aminos or soy sauce
- Add oil to instant pot and sauté chicken until lightly browned.
- Add vegetables and garlic, stir.
- Add sauces and lid, set to seal.
- Cook on Meat for 30 minutes on LOW pressure or 15 minutes on high.
- Release and serve hot over cauliflower rice or regular rice if you prefer.
- If making in slow cooker, add all ingredients and cook on high 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 467Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 124mgSodium 372mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 38g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.