We love to eat fish in our house- but we don't really eat enough fish to come up with a bunch of delicious, easy, go-to dishes that our whole family loves.
We usually do an easy lemon/garlic baked fish dish that is pretty easy to throw together, or blackened fish tacos- but we've been trying to start adding to more of our go-to's as we try to incorporate more lean proteins into our diet.
While my husband and I like a wide variety of fish preparations, my kids most certainly do not. They are pretty picky and don't like "fishy" flavors or smells. This 5 Ingredient Tuscan Baked Fish is a delicious, quick and easy meal that our whole family loves.
This dish, while being one-pot, is actually two different methods. You're first going to make a sauce and soften the onions, and then pop the whole thing in the oven with the fish.
Because we're finishing the dish in the oven, it is imperative that you use an oven-proof pan, and please be careful when removing the pan from the oven.
I can't tell you how many times my husband and I space that the pan is in the oven and go to grab it without a pot holder- its such a stupid thing to do, but we've sadly done it more than once!
One important note- the cooking times listed for baking the fish in here might be way off, depending on the size and shape of your fish filets. This application is great for so many types of fish- but that means it might take longer or shorter time in the oven to cook.
Check your fish by pulling at the largest end with a fork- if it looks white and flaky inside, it is done.
If it is still a bit purple/translucent, it has a bit longer to be cooked through.
Some people prefer undercooked fish- but as I'm in a thoroughly landlocked state and make this dish with cheaper frozen filets, I prefer to take mine all the way.
Tuscan Baked Fish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Large onion, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes with oregano and basil, or add your own herbs
- 4 boneless, skinless fish filets- cod, tilapia, or another flaky white fish- about 6-8g each
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large, oven proof pan, heat olive oil until shimmery on medium high.
- Add in diced onion, cook about 8 minutes, until soft and slightly browned.
- Add diced tomatoes, herbs (if you aren't using herbed diced tomatoes add some basil and oregano- about 2 tsp each), and capers.
- Sitr around and let reduce slightly, about five minutes.
- Add fish to pan.
- Pop in oven and bake about 15 minutes- until fish is flaky and white. This cooking time depends on the size of your filets and your oven- check after 8 minutes, and then again after 12.