Strawberry layer cake is a classic dessert that is perfect for any occasion. It is a sweet and decadent cake made with layers of moist vanilla cake, fresh sliced strawberries, and creamy whipped cream cheese strawberry frosting.
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Perfect Pink Layer Cake With Strawberry
Strawberry layer cake is a delicious dessert made with layers of moist cake and fresh strawberries. The cake layers are usually a light and fluffy vanilla or white cake, while the filling and frosting are made with fresh strawberries or strawberry puree, giving the cake a fruity and sweet taste. The layers are typically stacked with a rich and creamy frosting made with butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
To prepare a strawberry layer cake, you will need to bake the cake layers, slice the strawberries, and prepare the frosting. Once the cake layers have cooled, you will assemble the cake by spreading the frosting between each layer and on top and around the sides of the cake. Finally, you will decorate the cake with fresh strawberries, whipped cream, or other decorations.
Layer cakes are delicious because they offer a variety of flavors and textures in every bite. The cake layers provide a soft and spongy texture, while the filling and frosting add sweetness and creaminess. Additionally, layer cakes can be customized to suit any taste preference, allowing for endless possibilities and creativity in the kitchen. Whether for a special occasion or just a sweet treat, strawberry layer cake is sure to impress and satisfy any dessert lover.
How to Make Strawberry Layer Cake
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Fresh strawberries: Fresh strawberries bring a sweet and tangy flavor to the cake and are also used for garnishing the cake.
- All-purpose flour: This is the base ingredient for the cake and provides structure.
- Baking powder: This ingredient helps the cake to rise and become fluffy.
- Salt: Salt enhances the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Strawberry jello powder: This adds a concentrated strawberry flavor to the cake.
- Unsalted butter: This ingredient provides moisture and flavor to the cake.
- Vegetable oil: This ingredient also provides moisture to the cake and helps to keep it moist.
- Granulated sugar: Sugar adds sweetness to the cake.
- Eggs: Eggs help to bind the ingredients together and add structure to the cake.
- Vanilla extract: This ingredient adds a sweet and floral flavor to the cake.
- Milk: This ingredient helps to make the cake moist and tender.
- Freeze dried strawberries: This ingredient is used in the frosting and adds a concentrated strawberry flavor.
- Cream cheese: This is the base for the frosting and adds a tangy and creamy flavor.
- Powdered sugar: This sweetens the frosting and helps to thicken it.
- Vanilla extract: This adds a sweet and floral flavor to the frosting.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following process:
For the cake:
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Prepare 4, 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper circles and cooking spray. Put the strawberries in a blender or food processor and blend until the strawberries are pureed. Set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and strawberry jello powder with a whisk. Set aside. In a separate large mixing bowl, beat the butter, oil, and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and strawberry puree. Mix until combined.
Add the dry mixture, alternating with the milk until completely combined.
- Bake. Divide the batter evenly into the 4 cake pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Cool. Allow the cakes to completely cool while making the frosting.
For the strawberry cream cheese frosting:
- Blend dried strawberries. Add the freeze dried strawberries to a blender or food processor, and blend until the strawberries become a fine powder. Set aside.
- Mix frosting. In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Add the powdered sugar gradually until completely combined. Add the strawberry powder until the desired color and flavor is reached. I used about 3 tablespoons.
To assemble cake:
- Level cakes. Level the cakes using a large serrated knife to create a flat surface.
- Stack with layers of frosting. Stack the cakes with a layer of frosting between each cake layer. With a large icing spatula, spread a thin even layer of frosting on top of and around the cake to create a crumb coat.
- Chill crumb coat. Place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes to set the crumb coat.
- Frost & top with berries! Frost the entire cake with the remaining frosting and garnish with sliced fresh strawberries.
- Enjoy! Slice, and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Strawberry Layer Cake
Use fresh, high-quality ingredients. Make sure your strawberries are ripe and sweet, and use good-quality butter, cream cheese, and other ingredients for the best flavor.
Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature. This will help ensure that your cake batter is smooth and that your frosting is easy to work with.
Be precise with your measurements. Baking is a science, so make sure you measure your ingredients carefully to get the best results.
Don’t overmix your batter. Mix just until everything is combined and no more, to prevent your cake from becoming tough.
Use cake strips to ensure even baking. Cake strips are strips of fabric or silicone that you wrap around your cake pans to help them bake evenly and prevent doming.
Let your cake cool completely before frosting it. If you try to frost a warm cake, your frosting will melt and slide off.
Use a serrated knife to level your cake layers. This will help ensure that your layers are even and your cake is stable.
Chill your cake before frosting it. This will make it easier to frost and will help prevent crumbs from getting into your frosting.
Use an offset spatula to frost your cake. This will help you get a smooth, even layer of frosting.
Add fresh berries to decorate. Decorate your cake with fresh strawberries or other fruits for a beautiful and delicious finishing touch.
You can make the cake layers up to 2 days ahead of time, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator. The frosting can be made 1 day ahead of time, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
While fresh strawberries are recommended for the best flavor, you can use frozen strawberries as a substitute. Just make sure to thaw and drain them completely before using.
Yes, you can substitute the cream cheese frosting with another type of frosting like vanilla buttercream or whipped cream frosting.
Store leftover cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Bring the cake to room temperature before serving.
Yes, you can make this cake without a stand mixer. You can use a hand mixer or even a whisk to mix the ingredients together. However, a stand mixer can make the process easier and faster.
What to Serve With Strawberry Layer Cake
Strawberry layer cake pairs well with a variety of drinks such as coffee, tea, milk, and champagne! I love cake with Champagne Fizz Cocktail or a Pimms Cup Cocktail for my birthday with a big slice of cake.
It can also be served with a side of whipped cream, fresh strawberries, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for added sweetness.
It can be served alone as the main dessert or alongside other sweets and treats such as chocolate truffles or macarons.
Strawberry Layer Cake Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Delicious strawberry layer cake loaded with fresh strawberry flavor for a moist cake and easy cream cheese icing loaded with tart freeze dried strawberry flavor!
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh strawberries
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 oz box strawberry jello powder 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Strawberry cream cheese frosting
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Prepare 4, 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper circles and cooking spray. Put the strawberries in a blender or food processor and blend until the strawberries are pureed. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and strawberry jello powder with a whisk. Set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat the butter, oil, and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and strawberry puree. Mix until combined.
- Add the dry mixture, alternating with the milk until completely combined.
- Divide the batter evenly into the 4 cake pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Allow the cakes to completely cool while making the frosting.
For the strawberry cream cheese frosting:
- Add the freeze dried strawberries to a blender or food processor, and blend until the strawberries become a fine powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar gradually until completely combined.
- Add the strawberry powder until the desired color and flavor is reached. I used about 3 tablespoons.
To assemble cake:
- Level the cakes using a large serrated knife to create a flat surface.
- Stack the cakes with a layer of frosting between each cake layer.
- With a large icing spatula, spread a thin even layer of frosting on top of and around the cake to create a crumb coat.
- Place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes to set the crumb coat.
- Frost the entire cake with the remaining frosting and garnish with sliced fresh strawberries.
- Slice, and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Dried Strawberries - Sunny Fruit - 18oz Bulk Bag | Quick, Healthy Sweet Snack | NON-GMO, GLUTEN-FREE, NUT FREE
Cuisinart 14 Cup Food Processor, Includes Stainless Steel Standard Slicing Disc (4mm), Medium Shredding Disc, & Stainless Steel Chopping/Mixing Blade, DFP-14BCNY
Wilton Easy Layers 5-Piece Layer Cake Pan Set, 6-Inch, Steel
P&P CHEF 8 Inch Cake Pan Set of 3, Nonstick Round Cake Baking Pans with Handles, 3 Pieces Layer Cake Tin, Stainless Steel Core & Wider Handle, Non-toxic & Easy to Clean, Heavy Duty, Black
Kitchenaid Artisan Mini Plus 3.5-Qt. Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Flex Edge Beater
Amount Per Serving Calories 809Total Fat 45gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 154mgSodium 352mgCarbohydrates 95gFiber 2gSugar 68gProtein 8g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.