Delicious easy pasta salad loaded with pepperoni, mozzarella, olives, peppers, and Italian herb flavor!
Here at Sweet C’s, we have lots of types of readers – those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Antipasti Pasta Salad
Pasta salad is one of those delicious, easy, classic summer cookout dishes that everyone loves – it is simple to make a huge batch, feeds a crowd, is full of salty, garlicky, herb-filled flavor, and can be customized to fit your tastes really easily.
We’re using traditional antipasti ingredients, including black olives, parmesan cheese, mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, red onions, and pepperoni to add a ton of flavor to our rotini pasta salad – it is hearty and filling, without being too heavy – the perfect cookout side dish.
We hope you love this recipe as mush as we do!
How to Make Pasta Salad
To make this pasta salad, you’ll need:
- Rotini – rotini is a short, sturdy pasta with a corkscrew shape that provides lots of surface area to hold onto dressing, herbs, and spices without falling apart or turning to mush when cooked.
- Pepperoni – a spicy, meaty kick is great in pasta salad, and we love using pepperoni slices. Use whatever pepperoni you love the flavor of – you can cut it into fourths, us mini pepperoni, or leave big slices for a heartier bite!
- Mozzarella – we’re going to cut 6 oz. of a block of mozzarella cheese into bite size bites, to add tons of rich cheesy flavor to this dish. Mozzarella’s mild taste pairs perfectly with vegetables and pasta.
- Red wine vinegar – a bit of tangy acid from red wine vinegar provides a little kick to balance out the starchy pasta and milk flavor from cheese.
- Cherry tomatoes – cherry tomatoes give a beautiful pop of red, and are extra sweet without being too watery – making them a perfect addition to pasta salad.
- Olive oil – olive oil is used to form the base of our dressing as the light vegetal flavor is fabulous mixed with herbs and spices, and the fat content in the oil is essential to keep pasta from drying out.
- Black olives – black olives are salty, with a bit of a briny flavor that that is classic in any antipasti dish.
- Parmesan cheese – parmesan cheese adds a nutty, cheesy, and salty flavor to pasta salad and a nice crumbly texture.
- Red onion – red onion is not as “hot” as raw white onion, but still has a strong, pungent flavor that provides a nice zip to pasta salad.
- Garlic powder – garlic powder is earthy and vegetal, providing a delicious, addictive flavor to dishes that pairs perfectly with pasta and vegetables.
- Italian herbs – Italian herb blends include basil, thyme, oregano, marjoram, sage, and other herbs that bring a balanced, earthy flavor similar to Italian dressing when mixed with red wine vinegar and olive oil.
- Salt and pepper – use salt and pepper to finish seasoning pasta salad to your taste preference.
- Boil pasta and then drain well.
- Mix dressing.
- Add vegetables, cheese, and seasonings.
- Toss in dressing.
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Pasta Salad
Salt pasta water. Boiling pasta in well-salted water brings flavor, encourages starch to let off, and helps pasta boil rapidly.
Don’t boil pasta in water with olive oil. Boiling pasta in water with oil in it makes the pasta slicker when serving, and keeps the dressing from fully absorbing into pasta.
Let pasta drain before mixing. Water and oil don’t mix – wet pasta will repel dressing, so letting it fully drain off helps pasta absorb our oil-based dressing’s flavor.
Dress it hot! Add the olive oil dressing while the pasta is still hot – you don’t need to mix the vegetables and cheese in while still hot, but add your dressing while pasta is still hot, so that it can soak up the dressing flavor and keep pasta from sticking together.
Use premade dressing. To save time, you can use a bottle of pre-made Italian dressing, Thousand Island dressing, or other oil-based salad dressing you like the flavor of.
Pasta salad is great after chilling for a bit – I sometimes like to make it overnight to really let the flavors all come together!
Pasta salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
We’re using rotini for pasta salad, but it is also great with penne, macaroni, orecchiette, or other short pastas with a bit of texture.
What to Serve With Pasta Salad
Pasta salad is one of those dishes that goes with just about everything – but we love bringing it to BBQs and cookouts, since it is easy and economical to feed a big crowd! We love serving with smashburgers, bacon-wrapped hot dogs, carne asada, or our hot and fast smoked brisket!
For more of our grill and smoker recipes, find our recent favorites below:
The Best Easy Pasta Salad Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
- 1 pound Rotini pasta
- 15-20 slices pepperoni
- 6 oz mozzarella, cut into 1" cubes
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 8 oz Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup black olives, drained
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large stock pot that is well salted, boil rotini to al dente.
- When boiled, drain well.
- As pasta boils, in a small bowl, mix together olive oil, red wine vinegar, Italian herbs, and garlic powder.
- Add cooked, drained pasta to large bowl. Mix in pepper, tomatoes, olives, onion, mozzarella, and pepperoni. Stir to toss well.
- Drizzle dressing over pasta. Toss well.
- Top with grated parmesan cheese and mix.
- Serve immediately, or chill in airtight container in refrigerator until serving.
Serving Sizeabout 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 331Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 24mgSodium 341mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 10g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
You can find our web story for this recipe here.