Creamy Cheddar and Bacon Hasselback Potato Gratin Recipe
Nov 23, 2020, Updated Dec 06, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These creamy cheddar and bacon hasselback potatoes gratin are creamy, cheesy baked potatoes loaded with bacon and cheddar. Its flavor the whole family will love!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Creamy Cheddar and Bacon Hasselback Potato Gratin
These Hasselback potatoes are extra flavorful, thanks to the creamy cheddar and bacon base they cook in. If you love rich potato and cheese flavor this delicious twist on Hasselback potatoes is for you!
If you’ve ever had Hasselback potatoes, you know how delicious they are – but we’re seriously upping the ante with these amazing potatoes baked in a creamy cheddar sauce for the mot unbelievable flavor ever!
How to make Creamy Cheddar and Bacon Hasselback Potato Gratin
Assembly the following ingredients.
- Yukon gold potatoes – Yukon golds crisp up fabulously when baked and have a lovely rich potato flavor. This recipe will work with other types of potatoes too.
- Salt and pepper – potatoes love and need salt and pepper, use both generously and be sure to taste your potatoes before you serve.
- Butter – salted butter adds fat to this recipe, you need it to be the good base to the gratin. You can substitute with a vegan margarine for similar results.
- All-purpose flour – flour helps thicken the gratin sauce. Make sure you let it cook off in the butter for a few minutes to get less of a flour taste.
- Milk – milk adds a great texture to the sauce and is used to thin it. If you want a thinner sauce add more.
- Cheddar cheese – you want to use shredded cheese here to let it distribute evenly.
- Bacon – bacon has a super-rich intense salty flavor that compliments the potatoes and gives this potato side direction.
- Shallots – shallots have a flavor between onions and garlic so substitute with garlic and onion if you don’t have shallots. Slice them into thin half moons
When you have assembled the ingredients use the following method
Prep. Slice the potatoes with a sharp knife almost all the way through. Leave them connected at the bottom. Crisp the bacon in an oven safe pan and set aside.
Make Sauce. Pour the bacon grease out of the pan (pour it into a jar to save!). Melt the butter in the pan, add the shallots and cook 3-4 minutes. Mix in the flour, salt, and pepper and let cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook until thickened. Stir in the cheese and melt about a minute.
Put it all together. Place the potatoes in the pan and coat in the sauce. Top with the cheese and bacon and cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and potatoes are soft.
Finish in oven. Remove foil and bake 20-30 minutes or until cheese has browned and potatoes are crisp. Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Creamy Cheddar and Bacon Hasselback Potato Gratin
Don’t skimp on the salt. Potatoes need lots of salt, so you don’t want to skimp on the salt. Make sure you taste the potatoes before serving too.
Make sure you cut the potatoes deep enough. You want to make sure you cut the potatoes as far as you can without cutting through. You want the sauce to be able to penetrate all the way through.
Yes, for the right texture, you’ll partially bake potatoes before baking in the cheddar cream sauce.
These cheddar and bacon hasselback potatoes in gratin will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Re-heat in the microwave.
Other Potato Recipes You’ll Love
If you love this delicious cheesy potato recipe, be sure to check out our other favorite potato dishes – click on the photos below, or you can click here to visit our potato recipe index.
If you’d like to see more of our favorite side dishes, please check out our side dish recipe index.
Be sure to check out more of our favorite side dishes if you love this recipe!
Cheddar and Bacon Hasselback Potatoes Gratin Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes
- 4 strips bacon, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, sliced into thin half moons
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 ½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice potatoes with a sharp knife - making a thin slice, but do not cut the potato all the way through - leave them connected at the bottom of the potato.
- Crisp bacon in an ovenproof pan. Set aside.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the shallots to the pan and cook 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Mix the flour and salt and stir into pan with a whisk for one minute.
- Whisk in milk.
- Cook until flour and milk mixture has thickened.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Place the sliced potatoes in the pan and spoon the cheese sauce over the potatoes.
- Top with 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and bacon.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 45 minutes to an hour, until cheese is bubbling, and potatoes are soft.
- Remove foil, and bake additional 20-30 minutes, until cheese has browned slightly and potatoes crisp.
- Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Lodge Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder, 10.25-inch
Reynolds Wrap Recycled Aluminum Foil, 200 Square Foot Roll
Amazon Basics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
Cuisinart 719-16 1.5-Quart Chef's-Classic-Stainless-Cookware-Collection, Saucepan w/Cover
HENCKELS Classic Razor-Sharp 8-inch Chef's Knife, German Engineered Informed by 100+ Years of Mastery
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 403Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 73mgSodium 503mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 15g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Sweet C’s Favorites
If you love this recipe, please check out some of our top posts!
These tried and true reader favorites are well loved for their family friendly flavor that everyone loves!