Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
May 16, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This delicious sausage and veggie packed breakfast casserole is topped with one of my favorites – classic tater tots!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Hearty Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
If you are looking to please a crowd – young and old – with a filling nutritious breakfast look no further. This tater tot topped breakfast casserole can be assembled ahead of time and baked as needed. It also reheats well if you want to just wake up and eat!
This casserole is an all-in-one meal since it has spicy sausage, hearty vegetables, eggs, and potatoes. When baked till golden brown this comforting filling breakfast favorite is perfect for any breakfast potluck, Christmas morning, or anytime you want a protein packed breakfast to start your day off on the right foot!
How to make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
First assemble the following ingredients:
- Olive oil – olive oil will help enhance the sausage and vegetables and prevent sticking.
- Sausage – you can use any protein you want but I prefer breakfast sausage, use Italian or spicy if you prefer.
- Onion and Bell Pepper – these are my favorite vegetables for a breakfast casserole since they add a sweet meatiness. Feel free to mix things up if you prefer.
- Frozen tater tots – you can use any brand of tater tots you like. I use one large bag to top the casserole.
- Eggs – use high quality eggs for a light creamy breakfast casserole.
- Heavy cream and Whole milk – these combined with the eggs make a light fluffy binder that will bring the casserole together and allow it to hold its shape when cut.
- Sea salt and Black pepper – use these to season the egg mixture so you get a perfectly balanced casserole you wont need to add to later.
- Hot sauce – you won’t be able to really taste the hot sauce so fear not if you don’t like spicy. This simply adds some body and definition to the egg and lifts it.
- Sharp cheddar cheese – while I prefer sharp cheddar you can use any easily meltable cheese you prefer.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Cook veggies. Heat olive oil in a skillet, add the onion and bell pepper and sauté until softened.
- Cook protein. Next add the sausage to the skillet and cook until browned. Spray 9 x 13 casserole dish with nonstick spray. Add the sausage and vegetables to the dish.
- Tots. Layer the tater tots on the top of the sausage and veggies in one layer.
- Mix eggs. In a large bowl combine the eggs, heavy cream, milk, salt, pepper, hot sauce, and cheese. I prefer to use an immersion blender to get this really blended.
- Combine and bake. Pour the egg mixture over the tater tots. Then arrange rack in middle of oven and bake for 55 minutes or until edges are bubbling and center is set. Let cool briefly and serve.
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Tater Tot Casserole
Turn up the heat. To get a spicier casserole add more hot sauce or some red pepper flakes.
Mix things up. If you want to mix it up try substituting bacon for sausage or adding different vegetables to the casserole, the possibilities are endless.
Make it Vegetarian. You can make this casserole vegetarian simply by omitting the sausage and adding more of the vegetables. If you make it vegetarian add 4 tbsp of cooled melted butter to the egg mix to offset the lack of fat from the meat.
Yes, you can assemble the casserole ahead of time and refrigerate it until you are ready to bake.
Store leftover in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
I prefer to reheat leftovers in the microwave for one minute. You can reheat the whole casserole in the oven.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes
If you enjoyed this tater tot breakfast casserole, try these other delicious breakfasts:
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 16 oz bag frozen tater tots
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp hot sauce
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper, cook for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add sausage to the pan and cook until browned. Set aside
- Spray a 9”x13” casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread the sausage, vegetable mixture along the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Arrange the frozen tater tots across the top of the sausage mixture.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, heavy cream, whole milk, sea salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Whisk thoroughly or use an electric mixer or immersion blender for best results.
- Stir the shredded cheddar cheese into the egg mixture.
- Pour the egg and cheese mixture over the casserole and allow it to distribute evenly over the top.
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and bake the casserole for 55 minutes or until edges are bubbling and top is browning.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes to set before serving. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 484Total Fat 38gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 228mgSodium 1041mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 18g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.