Dutch Oven Grecian Chicken is a simple, easy, and crazy delicious whole roasted greek chicken full of lemon, garlic, and oregano flavor!
While my brother in law was in town recently, he tried to make as many meals with the family as he could fit in.
My husband's family loves to cook big family dinners together- and this recipe is a spin off a delicious Grecian Chicken recipe my brother in law made for us one night.
Grecian chicken was immensely popular with his greek friends in Chicago where he went to law school- but the recipe usually involves taking a separated whole chicken and cooking it in a casserole dish with more liquid.
I changed it up so that the chicken cooks in a dutch oven- giving it crispy, delicious skin- and it requires a lot less effort!
This dutch oven grecian chicken is my new favorite way to slow roast chicken!
Tips to Perfect Whole Roasted Greek Chicken
The only real work here is stuffing some lemons and garlic into the chicken and seasoning the bird up.
After that, just toss it in the pan and cook for about an hour and a half- and you're done!
The chicken also gives off a delicious cooking liquid that is very gravy like, and very lemony.
The garlic also turns a delicious golden brown and has an incredible caramel flavor. I like to add a little of this to cous cous for an insanely delicious flavor!
I prefer using a chicken under 3 ½ pounds - I feel they provide more flavor in this recipe. Look for free range organic chicken if possible.
While butter doesn't seem like the proper Greek way (hello, olive oil!), every family I've eaten this dish wish from Greece uses butter for the flavor. I realize this is very Americanized, and you can use either - but the butter gives a lovely richness to the chicken skin that I just don't quite get with olive oil. Go ahead and use oil if you prefer it though!
Other One Pot Chicken Dinners You'll Love:
Click to watch videos of my favorite chicken dinners - and then click on the link below for the printable recipes!
Dutch Oven Grecian Chicken Recipe
Click the video to see me make this recipe!
- whole chicken
- 2 lemons, sliced into thin rounds
- ¾ cup garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1-2 pats of butter, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees / 190 c
- Stuff ½ of one lemon into the chicken's cavity with 5-8 garlic cloves.
- Generously salt and pepper chicken.
- Add to dutch oven and throw in rest of lemon and garlic.
- Sprinkle chicken with oregano.
- If you like extra crispy chicken skin, add a pat or two of butter to the top.
- Add lid and cook 1 ½ hours, checking temp every 20 minutes after an hour. You want the temp to get to 160, and then remove the lidded dutch oven, as it will keep cooking to reach the safe internal temperature of 165 degrees for a chicken.
- Let dutch oven sit for 10 minutes after removing from oven to allow for carryover cooking, and so the juices have a chance to rest.
- Remove from pan, and carve!
Amount Per Serving Calories 231Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 73mgSodium 124mgCarbohydrates 7gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 1gSugar 1gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 22g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.