Homemade Tortilla Chips and Cheesy Green Chile Pepper Dip Recipe
Jan 25, 2016, Updated Dec 29, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Whether its game day or you’re feeling the need for some cheesy Mexican dip, these quick and easy homemade tortilla chips and cheesy green chili pepper dip are sure to satisfy.
Every year, I love making delicious, spicy, and easy dishes to watch the big game with. We always have friends and family over to watch, eat tons of delicious food, and decide which commercials we like the best- it is one of the most fun parties every year.
While wine isn’t something a lot of people normally think of when planning a party for the big game, it should be! A great pinot noir or chardonnay that is well balanced and not too buttery or sweet is the perfect drink to pair with rich, delicious foods for a slightly elevated gameday- just like delicious, made-from-scratch dips and chips.
This year, I am super excited to make a creamy, chunky, full of green chile and bell pepper cheese dip and some fresh-fried tortilla chips- they both took under 10 minutes to make, and are SO delicious! They are also free of that gross overprocessed flavor and can be done in no time.
I’m pairing them with Cambria’s Chardonnay to root on my team this year – GO BRONCOS!!!!
I could not be more thrilled that the Broncos are going to the big game this year. Sorry to all my friends from new england- but this girl LOVES blue and orange.
Check out just how easy they are to make in the video below (and be sure to thumbs up and follow if you want to see more of my simple cooking videos!!)
Find the full recipe in my post below, and be sure to check out the Cambria Winery website here!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Cambria Wines. The opinions and text are all mine.
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
For the Tortilla Chips
- 1 package (8-10 count) corn tortillas, uncooked are best but any kind are fine
- 2 quarts corn, peanut, canola, or vegetable oil (I prefer corn)
- Salt (to taste)
For the Cheesy Green Chili, Pepper Dip
- 12 oz cacique Oaxca cheese or large mozzarella round
- 6 oz queso fresco, crumbled
- 2 shallots, diced finely
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup roasted green chiles, diced
- ½ cup salsa or diced tomatoes
- Make the Chips using the following method.
- In a tall pot, heat oil to 350 degrees.
- In small batches, addchips to oil. (I use my hands and work quickly to avoid being splattered with oil, but you can also use a wire basket or skimmer.)
- Stir chips in oil to make sure they don’t stick together and cook evenly.
- Cook until lightly golden brown.
- Remove with a skimmer, lightly shaking as you remove chips to remove excess oil.
- Place on a plate with paper towels and very lightly pat dry if there is a lot of excess oil.
- Sprinkle with salt or any other flavoring you’d like.
- Next make the dip using the following method.
- In a large pan, heat shallots, bell pepper, and green chiles until shallots are lightly browned.
- Add salsa or tomatoes and stir to mix well, cook off any excess liquid.
- Add oaxca or mozzarella cheese to pan and melt on medium high heat, stirring often to prevent burning. (This will go faster if you cut the cheese into smaller cubes.)
- When cheese is melted and thoroughly mixed with chiles and peppers, add queso fresco crumbles to the top.
- Remove from heat and top with green onion, diced tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, and enjoy immediately with your homemade chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Versatile Stainless Steel Spider Strainer/Skimmer/Ladle for Cooking and Frying, Chirano Kitchen Gadgets Wire Strainer Pasta Strainer Spoon (6 Inch)
Preseasoned Cast Iron Skillet 12 Inch with Removable Silicone Handle Grip and Pan Scraper, Cast Iron Fry Pan for Indoor and Outdoor Use, Ovenproof, Stovetop, Induction Safe Seasoned Skillet
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 447Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 60mgSodium 708mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 5gSugar 10gProtein 21g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.