I didn't grow up in a house with casseroles. My mom says she was simply not a "casserole girl" and was a bit skeptical of all the fat (though, I remember we ate plenty of fattening foods like pizza and tacos- we just didn't seem to eat foods loaded with cream of whatever soup). This is both a blessing and a curse- I love making fresh, delicious dishes but there is no denying that a creamy, warm and comforting casserole is just about the most amazingly delicious food you can eat- but I didn't really get to experience them until I was in college in the midwest. This Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom and Onion Soup is a grew balance for people who are trying to eat whole, unprocessed foods that don't take much time to make, but want the delicious, creamy and warm addition of a creamy soup base for a casserole.
This condensed soup base is extremely versatile- and can also be made vegan to add to quinoa or rice in a breeze. I personally love it with chicken and broccoli (casserole recipe to follow!) or add more water to use as a soup. You can even use this as a delicious base for other soups and stews.
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, ghee or oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour, can substitute GF flour or tapioca starch
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup light cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp sage
- In a large pan, heat butter until it melts on medium.
- Add onions and mushrooms and cook on medium until softened and browned.
- In a small bowl, add cream and flour and whisk well until clumps are gone.
- When vegetables are soft and slightly browned, add vegetable stock slowly, while stirring.
- Keep stirring vegetables and stock, and slowly add milk and flour mixture.
- Add seasonings and cook on medium for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soup base has thickened.
- Remove from heat and add to casserole or a sterile jar with a tight fitting lid.
- If keeping in the refrigerator, use within 2-3 days.
Amount Per Serving Calories 433Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 59mgSodium 773mgCarbohydrates 46gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 3gSugar 7gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 8g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.