Creamy Pepperoncini Chicken Skillet is a delicious, hearty, tangy, and creamy dinner that is great over rice, vegetables, pasta – or on it’s own!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
- One Pot Creamy Pepperoncini Chicken Tender Skillet
- How to make Creamy Pepperoncini Chicken Tender Skillet
- Tips and Tricks to Perfect Creamy Pepperoncini Chicken Tender Skillet
- Other Chicken dinners you’ll love:
- Creamy Pepperoncini Chicken Skillet Recipe
One Pot Creamy Pepperoncini Chicken Tender Skillet
Pepperoncinis are one of my all-time favorite things to eat – I can eat a whole jar in one sitting if I really wanted to. I love the spicy, tangy zip of pepperoncini peppers – they are so delicious, and pair perfectly with so many different meals!
This skillet dinner is perfect for a low carb diet – or if you’re not watching carbs, it is luxurious and decadent over pasta or rice.
How to make Creamy Pepperoncini Chicken Tender Skillet
First assemble the following ingredients:
- Butter – butter is basically liquid fat and fat is flavor! Use salted butter, you can substitute with olive oil if you prefer.
- Chicken – use chicken tenders since they will cook quickly in the sauce after browned. If you buy large chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- Sea salt and Pepper – salt and pepper are needed to season the chicken before it sears. Save some to season the sauce in case you need it.
- Onion – white diced one adds a nice earthy flavor to this skillet.
- Garlic – garlic is onions best friend, use diced or pressed.
- Chicken stock – use chicken stock or chicken bone broth as the base for the sauce.
- Roasted red pepper – these red peppers are sweet and will contrast the pepperoncini well. You want to drain and slice them.
- Heavy cream – heavy cream gives the sauce that rich alfredo taste. Make sure you don’t bring it to a boil or the sauce will split.
- Parmesan cheese – parmesan has a sharp salty flavor. Use shredded or grated so it will integrate and melt evenly.
- Italian seasoning – this is a mix of oregano, basil, and thyme. Feel free to mix your own.
- Pepperoncini peppers – these spicy peppers are the main flavor for the sauce. You want to drain them, and you can slice, ring, or keep them whole depending on your preference.
Once you have assembled the ingredients use the following method
Season and sauté. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the butter till melted and hot and brown the chicken in it then remove from pan and set aside. Add the onion and garlic and cook till translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
Bring sauce together. Add stock and roasted red peppers then reduce to about half. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream and parmesan, whisking continuously till smooth.
Combine and finish. Slowly heat sauce back to medium heat add the Italian seasoning, pepperoncini, and chicken back to the pan. Let sauce reduce till chicken is fully cooked
Serve. Remove from the heat and serve over veggie, pasta, rice, or enjoy it solo!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Creamy Pepperoncini Chicken Tender Skillet
Control the heat. You can control how spicy your skillet ends up by adding more or less pepperoncini peppers. If you want to use less, chop them fine if you want them better distributed.
Don’t let it split. If you don’t want the sauce to split be careful to not bring your sauce to a boil after adding the cream.
Deglaze the pan. You can deglaze your pan after browning the onions and garlic with about 1 tbsp of white wine if you prefer for a little extra zing.
Leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
If you want to keep this carb or gluten free you can serve this on top of/beside cauliflower rice. Get my recipe here!
I like to make Orzo pasta to serve this with since it soaks up the sauce really well!
Other Chicken dinners you’ll love:
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! If you enjoyed this creamy pepperoncino chicken skillet you will love these other chicken favorites!
You might also enjoy some of my favorite one pot chicken recipes like Lemon Garlic Chicken Tenders, Stuffed Chicken Parmesan, Garlic Butter Chicken and Mushrooms, and Spicy Tequila Lime Chicken Fettuccine
Click here to see all our one pot recipes!
Creamy Pepperoncini Chicken Skillet Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Creamy Pepperoncini Chicken Skillet
Creamy Pepperoncini Chicken Tender Skillet is a delicious, hearty, tangy, and creamy dinner that is great over rice, vegetables, pasta - or on it's own!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 lbs chicken, cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 tbsp garlic, diced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, drained and sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini peppers, drained (sliced, ring, or whole pepper, however you like them)
- In a large, heavy pan, melt butter on medium high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, add to pan.
- Brown chicken on all sides, turning every couple minutes - about 8 minutes total.
- Remove chicken from pan (chicken might not be fully to 165 degrees internal temperature, which is fine)
- Add garlic and onion to pan, let brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock and roasted red peppers and let reduce to half, another 5 minutes.
- Turn heat off, and slowly stir in cream and parmesan, whisking vigorously as you add cream.
- Slowly bring heat back to medium high, add Italian seasoning, pepperoncinis, and chicken back to pan.
- Let sauce reduce to half and bring chicken fully to 165 fahrenheit internal temperature. Add more stock if needed to thin sauce as chicken cooks.
- Remove from heat and serve over vegetables, pasta, rice, or on its own!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Amount Per Serving Calories 565Total Fat 41gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 203mgSodium 813mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 41g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Check out my web story on this delicious and creamy pepperoncini skillet!
I’ve made this recipe several times and it’s one of my favorites. Tonight I made it with sliced tofu and mushrooms and it was just as good as chicken, maybe better. For those looking for a lower fat/lower calorie way to make this, tofu and mushrooms are perfect.
Can I use chicken thighs? Thanks looks delicious
Sure! I’d use the method in this chicken thigh recipe to cook the thighs – then add them to this sauce! https://sweetcsdesigns.com/one-pot-garlic-butter-chicken-thighs-mushrooms/
This was amazing! I didn’t have the roasted peppers so I omitted them. I accidentally put the pepperoncinis in at the same time with the broth before the cream. It really soften them up. So great!
I accidentally did the same thing, but it came out amazing!!!
Have you tried with banana peppers? That’s all I have
Yes! Slightly different flavor and still delicious!
Do you know if this recipe could be adapted to be cooked in the Instant Pot? Maybe adding the cream after?
While I have not made this in an Instant Pot Iam sure it could be done. You will want to brown the chicken on the “sauté” setting then add the other ingredients in the same order except the cream and the parmesan. Cook for 5 minutes then add the cream and parmesan and set it back on sauté for a few minutes while the cream comes together with the other flavors. If you use your Instant Pot for this, please let us know how it goes so other people know! Thanks!
Well hello , I found your recipe on Pinterest and I decided to try it and make it and it came out excellent thank you for the suggestion