This quick and easy cheesy baked spaghetti is packed with Italian flavors and creamy melted cheese. This is my go-to dinner for an activity-packed weeknight and can even be assembled the night before.
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Easy Kid Approved Baked Spaghetti
My kids inherently love spaghetti which is great since it's healthy and is relatively quick and easy to make. This recipe was born when my kids started doing different sports and activities after school and I no longer had the time to even wait for water to boil before I had to hop in the car to bring someone somewhere. This baked spaghetti recipe is also my meal train go-to for families who have a new baby and need a meal their older kids will eat without hesitation.
Baked Spaghetti combines the classic spaghetti and pasta sauce with delicious Italian spices and two kinds of Italian cheese. There are many variations on this recipe once you have mastered it, see the Tips and Tricks section for inspiration.
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Spaghetti - spaghetti is my go to pasta since it is very filling and classic for a spaghetti bake. When you strain the spaghetti, rinse it immediately with cold water to stop the cooking process and if you want you can coat it in some olive oil to keep the strands of pasta from sticking together.
- Pasta Sauce - you can use any brand or flavor of pasta sauce but make sure you use pre-made sauce, not diced tomatoes since tomato sauce has been cooked and enhanced in ways plain diced tomato or tomato puree has not.
- Garlic Powder - garlic powder is my go to for a quick hit of the sweetness and intense flavor of garlic without all the peeling and mincing. You can substitute fresh finely diced or pressed garlic for a stronger flavor.
- Onion - baked onion has a natural sweetness and savory nature that will enhance the flavor of the sauce for this bake. Make sure you dice your onion well so that it distributes into the sauce evenly.
- Parsley - parsley has a clean peppery flavor that lifts this spaghetti bake and gives it a fresh hit. I use dried parsley for this recipe but you can use fresh if it's available.
- Oregano - oregano has a very pungent spicy taste with sweet and sour notes. I use it here to enhance the pasta sauce and give the bake a distinctly Italian flavor.
- Parmesan Cheese - parmesan is a hard cow cheese that has been aged at least 12 months and has a strong salty flavor. The more expensive parmesan cheeses have been aged longer and have a stronger flavor, use whichever brand and type you prefer. You can use grated or shredded parmesan.
- Mozzarella Cheese - mozzarella is also a cow cheese but is very soft and has a very mild refreshing taste. I use it here because it is high in fat so it melts very well for the top of our spaghetti bake.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Mix - Mix the spices, onion, and parmesan cheese into the pasta sauce. In a 8x8 inch baking dish coat the spaghetti in the pasta sauce
- Bake- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, the cheese should be bubbly and melted.
- Enjoy - Sprinkle some dried parsley on top to garnish and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Baked Spaghetti:
Here are some tips and tricks to enhance your baked spaghetti
Prepare it ahead of time. You can prep this dish ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to 1 day before baking.
Add some meat. For some extra protein, you can add 1 lb of cooked unseasoned ground beef or ground turkey to this dish or 1 lb of meatballs. When I use meat I add it to the sauce with the spices so the spaghetti gets coated in it.
Top with other fresh herbs. I am partial to parsley but this baked spaghetti also tastes great topped with fresh basil or thyme. Feel free to use fresh herbs in and on this bake if possible for a stronger flavor.
Yes, if you are going to freeze it just assemble it as instructed above then double cover it in foil and freeze for 3-6 months. Be sure to write the date, “Baked Spaghetti” and instructions for defrost and reheat on the tin foil with a sharpie. I recommend you let it defrost before reheating then bake as instructed. The texture of the noodles will be affected by freezing but it will still taste great.
After this dish has been baked, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What to Serve With Baked Spaghetti?
I love to serve this baked spaghetti with, Crunchy Lemon Parmesan Salad , The Best Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Salad Recipe, Easy Garlic Butter Texas Toast Recipe, Easy Cheesy Garlic Rosemary Bubble Bread.
If you loved this baked spaghetti you will also love, The Best Easy Baked Italian Meatloaf Recipe Ever, The Best Easy Skillet Lasagna Recipe, Instant Pot Italian Shredded Beef.
To see some of our favorite easy recent side dishes, see the following below:
Easy Baked Spaghetti Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
This quick and easy baked spaghetti is packed with Italian flavors and creamy melted cheese. This is my go-to dinner for an activity packed weeknight and can even be assembled the night before.
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked
- 1 24 oz. can pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350℉
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the pasta sauce, minced onion, spices, and parmesan cheese. Stir the mixture until homogenous.
- Pour the pasta sauce into an 8x8 inch baking dish and mix the spaghetti into the pasta sauce until it is evenly covered in sauce.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top of the spaghetti and bake the dish for 35-40 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Top the dish with a sprinkle of dried parsley, serve, and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Oil Sprayer for Cooking, Olive Oil Sprayer Mister, Olive Oil Spray Bottle, kitchen Gadgets Accessories for Air Fryer,Canola Oil Spritzer, Widely used for Salad Making,Baking Frying, BBQ
SIFTR Grey Can Strainer Mini Colander - Space Saving Small Colanders and Strainers - Multi Use Kitchen Gadget - Silicone Can Strainer
Kitchen Gizmo Snap N Strain Pot Strainer and Pasta Strainer - Adjustable Silicone Clip On Strainer for Pots, Pans, and Bowls - Gray
Qimh Collapsible Colander Set of 3 Round Silicone Kitchen Strainer Set - 2 pcs 4 Quart and 1 pcs 2 Quart- Perfect for Draining Pasta, Vegetable and fruit (green,blue, purple)
DOWAN 13" Baking Dish, Lasagna Pan Large & Deep, Rectangular Baking Pan with Handles, 135 oz Ceramic Casserole Dish for Cooking, White
Amount Per Serving Calories 273Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 35mgSodium 837mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 14g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.