I love Orange Chicken. It is one of my favorite things to order from Chinese Food restaurants. The only problem is because they bread and fry the chicken, it is not only full of calories and fat- but it is full of gluten, so little man can’t share. I decided to come up with a way we can enjoy a lighter, gluten-free way to enjoy orange chicken at home- and this Slow Cooker Orange Chicken fits the bill perfectly!
This is a fabulously easy recipe you can toss in the slow cooker during naptime and have ready by dinner- just serve with rice and some steamed veggies for a complete meal!
One note: if you are gluten free, PLEASE check your ingredients closely. BBQ sauce and Orange Marmalade can contain gluten- but there are plenty of GF brands. Just check your labels! If not GF- no worries!
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1 cup Bar-b-que sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili paste
- 1 large onion
- 1 bell pepper or 4 small sweet peppers
- Green onions
- Salt and Pepper
- Dice chicken into 2" chunks
- Dice onions and peppers
- Toss in slow cooker, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on high.
- After about 2 hours of cooking, drain off any excess liquid.
- Add in marmalade, bbq sauce and chili paste, continue cooking until sauce thickens, about 2 hours.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!
Do you have a favorite slimmed down meal based off of a takeout dish? I’d love to see it!