Chorizo, cheesy eggs, fresh tortillas, and lightly tangy crema make these delicious spicy egg and chorizo breakfast tacos a hearty, flavorful meal your family will love!
There is nothing that wakes me up better on a rough morning than a delicious, comforting, hearty-- and spicy-- meal.
I love chilaquiles, chorizo burritos, and skillets full of spicy sausage- but I don't often make breakfast tacos.
I don't know if I was living under a rock, but I hand't come across uncooked tortillas in the grocery store before. Sure, I've made my own tortillas from scratch- and they were delicious- but let's face it - when you're nursing a wicked hangover or dealing with early morning grumpiness, making your own tortillas fresh just isn't going to happen.
So when I stumbled across some at Walmart (this post isn't sponsored, I promise --- I am just giddy about finding pre-made, preservative free stuff) I was super stoked to try out a delicious, smaller take on a local burrito joint's delicious cheesy, egg-y, chorizo packed tacos.
My husband and I couldn't believe the difference freshly cooked tortillas made. I've always loved corn tortillas, but let's face it- they get super dry. It was so easy to toss the uncooked tortillas on a cast iron skillet pan, let them heat (and get puffy!!!), flip them, and then serve up a bunch of delicious food into them. They are most definitely worth the extra steps- and they help cut down on the amount of preservatives you're taking in!
I found TortillaLand uncooked corn tortillas at Walmart in the Hispanic foods refrigerated section (with the chorizo and Crema Mexicana in this recipe as well- no searching all over!)
Spicy Egg and Chorizo Breakfast Tacos
Chorizo, cheesy eggs, fresh tortillas, and lightly tangy crema make these delicious spicy breakfast tacos a hearty, flavorful meal your family will love!
- 8 fresh tortillas
- 9 oz pork chorizo
- 1 tbsp butter
- 8 eggs, vigorously beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crema mexicana
- 1 tomato, diced into small cubes
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- For the tortillas:
- Heat a large cast iron or nonstick skillet on low, and heat tortillas in batches while cooking chorizo and eggs.
- Cook them by adding to skillet, letting them puff a bit, and then removing when slightly browned.
- If you want a firmer tortilla, hang from oven racks to create a taco shape (I prefer softer corn shells that have a bit of give, so I just keep them in foil and cook them in batches while I cook the rest of the meal).
- For the filling:
- Place in foil to keep hot while making eggs.
- In a large heavy pan, brown chorizo.
- Drain off fat.
- At this point, you can either cook the eggs with the chorizo for more flavor, or make them in a separate pan. If in a separate pan, heat a heavy nonstick pan on medium high and add a dash of olive oil to the pan, swirl.
- Add eggs to hot pan.
- Add cheese to eggs, stir.
- Keep stirring eggs to prevent from sticking and burning- this will also keep them fluffy.
- When eggs are set, but still just a touch runny, remove from heat (they will continue to cook and become firm- this helps to not overcook them).
- Add eggs and chorizo to tacos, and top with diced tomato, green onion, and crema mexicana, to taste.
Cooking eggs and chorizo together cuts down on the amount of dishes to clean and gives more flavor- but can make eggs look pinkish. This is purely cosmetic- but if you need perfect looking eggs, cook them in a separate, clean pan.
Amount Per Serving Calories 202