Baked Honey Mustard Corned Beef and Potatoes
Mar 05, 2023, Updated Apr 11, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you are a fan of corned beef and cabbage, you’re going to love this sweet and tangy Baked Honey Mustard Corned Beef and Potatoes. It’s the perfect St. Patrick’s Day dinner!
Easy Baked Corned Beef and Potatoes
If you aren’t a fan of the saltiness in corned beef, don’t give up on it just yet! Corned beef can be very salty when baked, but this recipe uses a boiling method to tame it down. By boiling the corned beef before you bake it, you get a deliciously seasoned corned beef without it being overly salty.
This corned beef and potatoes is sweet with a subtle tang. Topped with a sweet brown sugar and honey marmalade, this recipe is sure to knock your socks off!
How To Make Baked Honey Mustard Corned Beef and Potatoes
For this recipe, you won’t be spending hours looking for the ingredients at your local grocery store. It’s made with simple ingredients you can quickly grab on your next shopping trip. Here’s what you will need:
- Corned beef– Flat cut corned beef is leaner and has a more consistent thickness. You should get either the whole brisket or the flat cut for this recipe.
- Whole grain mustard– Whole grain mustard is mustard with visible seeds. I prefer Silver Spring Whole Grain Mustard, but you can use any kind you like.
- Dijon mustard– If you don’t have dijon mustard, you can use regular yellow mustard.
- Corned beef spice packet– Typically your corned beef will come with this spice packet. If it doesn’t, you can make your own using this recipe.
- Honey– Raw honey is the healthiest and most nutritious, but you can use any honey you prefer.
- Brown sugar– For this recipe, you will use dark brown sugar. Light brown sugar will work, but the corned beef won’t be as flavorful.
- Onion– You can use any onion you prefer, but I typically use a sweet onion to pair with the sweetness of the marmalade.
- Potatoes-You won’t need to worry about peeling the potatoes. Just wash them, and cut them in half.
- Olive Oil– Olive oil is used in the bottom of the pan to prevent your meal from sticking.
Once you have gathered all your ingredients, follow the steps below to make a delicious Irish dinner for your family.
- First, arrange the rack in your oven to the center position. Then, preheat your oven to 350F.
- Next bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a stock pot.
- Rinse your corned beef under cold water. Then, add your meat to the boiling water and boil it for 10-minutes.
- Add your olive oil and onion slices to the bottom of a roasting pan or dutch oven.
- Remove your corned beef from the water and pat it dry. Then, place it on top of the onion slices.
- Then, cut your potatoes in half and arrange the slices around the corned beef.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the whole grain mustard, spice packet, brown sugar, and honey. Mix well.
- Spread 3 tablespoons of the honey mixture over the top of the meat, onions, and potatoes.
- Tent your roasting pan with foil. Then, roast your corned beef and potatoes in the oven for 70-80 minutes or until the internal temperature is 160?.
- Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the corned beef to a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Switch the oven to broil, top the corned beef with the rest of the honey marmalade, and place it under the broiler for about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove the corned beef from the oven and allow it to rest for 10-minutes on a cutting board.
- Slice the corned beef against the grain for the best texture.
- Serve hot with potatoes and Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Corned Beef and Potatoes and FAQs:
- Use a thermometer to check the corned beef. The beef is ready when the thickest part of the meat is 160?. It should be fork tender.
- Extend cooking time for larger cuts of meat. This recipe is for a 2 pound beef brisket, and will take 70-80 minutes to cook.
- Don’t skip boiling the meat. This step is important to help reduce some of the salty flavor from packaging.
- The corned beef should stay under the broiler until it is golden brown. Do not let it burn.
You will first need to boil the corned beef over medium high heat. Then, you will bake the corned beef at 350?. Then you will bake it under the broiler setting until it is golden brown.
It will take you about 10-minutes to prep your ingredients and 10-minutes to boil the brisket. After that you will need to cook the corned beef for 70-80 minutes and broil it for 5-minutes. Additionally, you’ll need to let it rest for 10-minutes. So, altogether, this recipe will take 1 hour and 50-minutes.
Properly stored, cooked corn beef and potatoes will last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Store it in a shallow airtight container or wrap it tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil and put it in the refrigerator.
In the United States, corned beef is made from beef brisket. It is a tougher cut of beef that has been cured in a salt solution. The beef is cured in a brine for several days in the solution for several days making it less tough and more flavorful.
What To Serve With Baked Honey Corned Beef and Potatoes
Although this recipe is pretty much a meal of its own, you can make some other tasty sides while the corned beef is cooking. I would suggest Brown Butter Bacon Baked Brussel Sprouts or Fried Cabbage with Bacon. Complete the meal with a delicious side of Irish Brown Soda Bread.
Baked Honey Mustard Corned Beef and Potatoes Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 2 pounds corned beef
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 5 tablespoons dijon mustard
- Corned beef spice packet
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound yukon gold potatoes, washed and cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350°F and arrange rack to center position.
- Bring 6 cups water to a boil in large stock pot.
- Take corned beef from packaging, and rinse.
- Add meat to boiling water and boil for 10 minutes, remove from water. This step is important to help reduce some of the salty flavor from packaging.
- Add olive oil and onion slices to bottom of roasting pan or dutch oven.
- Remove corned beef from boiling water and pat dry with paper towels. Place on top of onion slices in roasting pan.
- Cut potatoes in half and arrange around corned beef.
- Combine the whole grain mustard, spices, brown sugar, and honey.
- Evenly spread 3 tablespoons (about half) of the mixture on top of the meat, onions, and potatoes.
- Tent the roast pan with foil.
- Roast the corned beef until internal temperature reaches 160ºF - which will be about 70-80 minutes.
- Carefully remove the pan from the oven and transfer the corned beef to a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Switch oven to broil.
- Top the corned beef with rest of mustard and brown sugar honey mix, and place under broiler.
- Let the top of corned beef glisten under broiler for about 5-8 minutes, until golden brown. Do not let burn.
- Remove beef from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes on a cutting board.
- Make sure to slice against the grain for best texture, and serve hot with potatoes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 581Total Fat 37gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 162mgSodium 1985mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 3gSugar 12gProtein 33g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.