With spring heating up, I start thinking of delicious foods we can grill outside. One of our absolute favorites is to make fajitas or grilled chicken that we can smother with green chili, salsa, or serve in burritos or tacos. And for the side, we have a favorite go-to for summer- Spanish Rice! This recipe is the Best Spanish Rice Ever – seriously!
I’ll admit I often turn to just grab a box at the store- but I make this incredibly easy recipe and then wonder why I ever grabbed the box stuff- because this is SO incredibly easy to make, and has so much more flavor. In the recipe, I am calling for chicken stock- but you can easily replace veggie stock to keep this a vegan dish. I usually like butter with rice dishes, but I prefer olive oil in this one- so no swapping there! Of course, if keeping a strict gluten free diet because of Celiac or an intolerance, please check labels of food you buy.
None of the ingredients I am using have naturally occurring gluten, but sometimes products do have gluten added as a preservative or may have been cross contaminated. Otherwise, this is a delicious, crowd pleasing gluten free side dish that you can bring to a party and know that everyone will enjoy it!
So next time you try another spanish rice recipe, or grab for the box of spanish rice in the store… back away and try this one instead! I promise it is absolutely delicious, and incredibly easy to make. It is by far our favorite spanish rice!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- green onions, to garnish
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in onion, and cook until tender and slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Mix rice into skillet, stirring often.
- When rice begins to brown, stir in chicken broth and diced tomatoes.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.
- Fluff, top with green onions, and serve!
Amount Per Serving Calories 238 Total Fat 5g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 4g Cholesterol 2mg Sodium 584mg Carbohydrates 43g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 0g Sugar 1g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 4g