Cheesy Veggie Home Fries
May 04, 2015, Updated Nov 15, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cheesy veggie home fries are a delightful fusion of crispy golden potatoes, sautéed zucchini and bell peppers, all smothered in melted cheese and topped with fresh green onions for a burst of flavor. This dish combines the comfort of traditional home fries with the freshness of vegetables, creating a savory and satisfying meal perfect for any time of the day.
Veggie Packed Breakfast Skillet
Cheesy veggie home fries offer a delightful and savory twist to the classic home fries, creating a dish that’s both comforting and bursting with fresh flavors. This dish starts with a base of crispy, golden-brown potatoes, cooked to perfection to achieve that satisfying crunch on the outside while remaining soft and fluffy on the inside. To this, a colorful medley of vegetables is added, including zucchini and bell peppers, which not only add a pop of color but also infuse the dish with their natural sweetness and slight crunch. The zucchini, thinly sliced or diced, cooks quickly, blending seamlessly with the potatoes, while the bell peppers, available in a variety of colors like red, green, or yellow, contribute a mild, slightly tangy flavor that complements the other ingredients.
The dish is then elevated to a new level of deliciousness with the addition of cheese and green onions. As the cheese melts over the hot mixture of potatoes and veggies, it creates a creamy, gooey texture that deliciously binds all the components together, adding a rich, indulgent element to the dish. The choice of cheese can vary based on personal preference, ranging from sharp cheddar for a bold flavor to mozzarella for a more subtle, gooey experience. Finally, chopped green onions are sprinkled on top as a garnish, adding a fresh, slightly pungent kick that cuts through the richness of the cheese. This not only enhances the flavors but also adds a final touch of color, making the dish as appealing to the eye as it is to the palate. Cheesy veggie home fries are a versatile dish, perfect as a hearty breakfast, a comforting side, or even a satisfying main course when served in generous portions.
How to Make Cheesy Home Fries
First assemble the following ingrediens:
- Onion (1) – Onion adds a fundamental layer of flavor, offering a sweet and slightly pungent taste that enhances the overall savoriness of any dish.
- Olive oil (2 tbsp) – Olive oil, with its distinct fruity and peppery notes, is a healthy cooking oil that imparts a subtle richness.
- Russet potatoes (2) – Russet potatoes are starchy and ideal for frying or baking, turning crispy on the outside while staying fluffy and light on the inside.
- Zucchini (1) – Zucchini is a versatile vegetable with a mild, slightly sweet flavor and a tender texture, making it a great addition.
- Bell pepper (1) – Bell peppers, available in various colors, add a sweet and slightly tangy flavor along with a satisfying crunch.
- Cheddar cheese (1/2 cup) – Cheddar cheese, known for its sharp and tangy taste, melts beautifully, adding a rich and creamy texture.
- Salt and pepper (1/2 tsp) – Salt is an essential seasoning that enhances the natural flavors of ingredients and balances the overall taste of a dish. Pepper adds a slight heat and piquancy, complementing and elevating the flavors.
- Green onions (1/4 cup) – Green onions provide a mild, slightly peppery flavor and a crisp, fresh texture, often used as a garnish to add color and zest.
Use this method:
Cook Veg. In a large cast iron skillet, melt butter or heat oil until shimmery. Add onions and cook until browned. Set aside.
Cook Potatoes. Add potatoes, cook on medium high until browned. Remove potatoes.
Finish Veg. Add zucchini and bell pepper and cook on medium high until browned. Add onions and potatoes back to pan, stir. Add salt and pepper to taste, and
Top and serve. top with cheese and green onions. When cheese is melted, remove from heat and serve!
What to Eat with Home Fries
Cheesy veggie home fries are versatile and can be enjoyed with a variety of accompaniments:
Eggs: Any style of eggs, such as scrambled, fried, or poached, pairs beautifully with these home fries, making for a hearty breakfast or brunch.
Grilled Meats: Serve them alongside grilled chicken, steak, or pork chops for a satisfying dinner.
Salad: A fresh green salad with a light vinaigrette can balance the richness of the cheesy fries.
Avocado or Guacamole: The creaminess of avocado or guacamole adds a nice contrast in texture and flavor.
Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt: A dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt on top can add a tangy twist.
Salsa or Pico de Gallo: For a bit of zest and freshness, salsa or pico de gallo are great options.
Beans: Black beans or baked beans can be a great addition, especially if you’re leaning towards a vegetarian meal.
Hot Sauce or Sriracha: For those who like it spicy, a drizzle of hot sauce or sriracha can enhance the flavors.
Sandwiches or Burgers: These fries make a great side dish to a variety of sandwiches or burgers.
Fresh Herbs: Sprinkle some fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro, or dill for added aroma and flavor.
Toast or Bagels: Simple toasted bread or bagels can complement the dish for a fulfilling breakfast or brunch.
Cheesy Veggie Home Fries Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, ghee, or clarified butter
- 2 russet potatoes, washed well and diced into 1" squares
- 1 zucchini, washed well and diced into 1" squares
- 1 bell pepper, halved and diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, sharp
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup green onions
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt butter or heat oil until shimmery.
- Add onions and cook until browned.
- Set aside.
- Add potatoes, cook on medium high until browned.
- Remove potatoes.
- Add zucchini and bell pepper and cook on medium high until browned.
- Add onions and potatoes back to pan, stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and top with cheese and green onions.
- When cheese is melted, remove from heat and serve!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 193Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 21mgSodium 127mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 5g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.