When you think of homefries, you probably think of an overly greasy, heavy meal that leaves you really sluggish all morning. While these Cheesy Veggie Home Fries aren’t the lightest option, I have a great trick for lightening it up and boosting the amount of veggies in it without picky eaters knowing! You’ll get over three servings of vegetables with this quick breakfast- and it’s always a huge crowd pleaser!
One of the things we are trying to get better about is eating hearty breakfasts together in the mornings. Our family often skips breakfast or goes light on the most important meal of the day- and I’ve been finding delicious, comforting foods that we can share that get us around the table. These Cheesy Veggie Home Fries are incredibly easy to make, packed with hidden veggies, and are deliciously comforting for a big, hearty breakfast meal!
The key to making this dish is getting all of the veggies and the potatoes to be crispy and crunchy. Soggy veggies are sure to scare off picky eaters- and limp potatoes are never appetizing! To get the right texture, it is important to follow the cooking steps below. I like to cook onions in the pan with a little olive oil or butter to bring them to a lovely caramel brown- and then I remove them and cook the potatoes in the skillet. I will also then remove the potatoes after crisping to cook the vegetables in the pan.
While this adds a few extra steps, it allows each set of ingredients the proper space in the pan to reach high heats quickly- we want to let them cook fast at high heat so they retain their shape and crispiness.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, ghee, or clarified butter
- 2 russet potatoes, washed well and diced into 1" squares
- 1 zucchini, washed well and diced into 1" squares
- 1 bell pepper, halved and diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, sharp
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup green onions
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt butter or heat oil until shimmery.
- Add onions and cook until browned.
- Set aside.
- Add potatoes, cook on medium high until browned.
- Remove potatoes.
- Add vegetables and cook on medium high until browned.
- Add onions and potatoes back to pan, stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and top with cheese and green onions.
- When cheese is melted, remove from heat and serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 11mg Sodium: 80mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 5g