Chickpea pomegranate salad is a flavorful and healthy dish made with protein-packed chickpeas and sweet, juicy pomegranate seeds. The salad is typically dressed with a tangy vinaigrette made from olive oil, lemon juice, and honey, which perfectly balances the sweetness of the pomegranate seeds.
This salad is not only delicious, but also incredibly nutritious, as it is packed with fiber, protein, and antioxidants. It is a perfect side dish for any meal or can be enjoyed as a light and refreshing lunch on its own!
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Sweet & Savory Chickpea Salad
Chickpea pomegranate salad is a dish that originated in the Levantine area of the Middle East - countries like Israel, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Syria, and Egypt - and has become popular around the world due to its unique flavor and health benefits.
This salad typically consists of chickpeas, which are a staple in Middle Eastern cuisine, and pomegranate seeds, which add a sweet and tart flavor to the dish. The salad is often dressed with a lemon and olive oil vinaigrette, which complements the sweetness of the pomegranate seeds and gives the salad a tangy kick.
In addition to the chickpeas and pomegranate seeds, other ingredients can be added to the salad to enhance the flavors and textures. Some common additions include fresh herbs like parsley and mint, red onion for a crunchy texture, and feta cheese for a salty flavor. The result is a delicious and nutritious salad that is full of fiber, protein, and antioxidants.
Chickpea pomegranate salad is a versatile dish that can be served as a side dish or as a main course. It pairs well with a variety of dishes, including grilled meats, roasted vegetables, and flatbreads like pita or naan. It is also a perfect salad to serve during the holidays or at special occasions, as the vibrant colors of the pomegranate seeds add a festive touch to any table.
How to Make Chickpea Pomegranate Salad
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Chickpeas: nutty and creamy, adding protein and fiber to the salad.
- Olive oil: adds richness and depth of flavor, as well as healthy fats.
- Cumin: brings a warm, earthy, and slightly smoky flavor to the dish.
- Turmeric: adds a slightly bitter and peppery flavor, as well as a bright yellow color.
- Cinnamon: provides a warm and sweet flavor, as well as an aromatic quality.
- Ginger: adds a subtle spicy and earthy flavor, as well as a bit of heat.
- Salt: enhances the flavors of the other ingredients and brings balance to the dish.
- Kale: a hearty and slightly bitter green, providing a good source of vitamins and minerals.
- Pepitas: also known as pumpkin seeds, adds a nutty and slightly sweet flavor, as well as crunch.
- Walnuts: brings a rich, nutty flavor and a satisfying crunch.
- Dried cranberries: adds a pop of sweetness and chewiness to the salad.
- Pomegranate arils: provides a juicy and tart burst of flavor, as well as a beautiful pop of color.
- Apple cider vinaigrette: brings a tangy and slightly sweet flavor, as well as helping to tie all the other flavors together.
Once you've gathered your ingredients, you will use the following process:
- Prep. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roast chickpeas. Combine the chickpeas, olive oil, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, and salt together. Spread the chickpeas out on a baking sheet and roast for about 20-30 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Toss salad. Toss the chopped kale, pepitas, walnuts, pomegranate arils, dried cranberries, and vinaigrette together.
- Combine and serve. Add in the roasted chickpeas, toss, and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Chickpea Pomegranate Salad
Rinse and drain your chickpeas thoroughly: Make sure to rinse your chickpeas under cold water and drain them well before using them in the salad.
Massage the kale: Kale can be tough and bitter, but massaging it with a little bit of olive oil and salt can help to break down the fibers and make it more tender and flavorful.
Use fresh ingredients: Use fresh and good quality ingredients, especially the pomegranate arils and pepitas, to ensure that the salad tastes its best.
Toast the nuts and seeds: Toasting the pepitas and walnuts in the oven or on the stove will bring out their natural flavors and make them extra crunchy and delicious.
Dress the salad right before serving: Add the apple cider vinaigrette right before serving the salad to prevent the kale from wilting and to keep the salad fresh.
Adjust the spices and seasonings to taste: Taste the salad as you go and adjust the spices and seasonings to your liking. You may need to add a little more salt or spice depending on your preferences.
You can store chickpea pomegranate salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Yes, you can substitute kale with other greens such as spinach, arugula, or mixed greens.
Yes, you can use canned or frozen pomegranate arils if fresh ones are not available.
Yes, you can add other vegetables such as roasted sweet potato, roasted carrots, or roasted beets to the salad for more flavor and texture.
Yes, you can use other dressings such as balsamic vinaigrette or honey mustard dressing based on your preference.
What to Serve With Chickpea Pomegranate Salad
Chickpea pomegranate salad can be served as a side dish or a main dish.
Grilled meats and seafood: It pairs well with many different dishes, such as roasted or grilled chicken, fish or shrimp.
Grilled vegetables: It also goes well with grilled or roasted vegetables such as asparagus, zucchini, or eggplant.
Rice dishes: You can also serve it with quinoa or rice for a more filling meal.
Fresh bread: Additionally, it can be served with a variety of breads such as pita, naan, or crusty sourdough bread.
For more of our trips to Israel, visit the posts below:
Chickpea Pomegranate Salad Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Chickpea Pomegranate Salad
Chickpea pomegranate salad is a flavorful and healthy dish that features a variety of textures and flavors. The salad includes a mix of chickpeas, spices, kale, pepitas, walnuts, dried cranberries, pomegranate arils, and a tangy apple cider vinaigrette.
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 6 cups chopped kale
- ¼ cup pepitas
- ¼ cup walnut halves
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the chickpeas, olive oil, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, and salt together.
- Spread the chickpeas out on a baking sheet and roast for about 20-30 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Toss the chopped kale, pepitas, walnuts, pomegranate arils, dried cranberries, and vinaigrette together.
- Add in the roasted chickpeas, toss, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 307Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 0mgSodium 524mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 10gSugar 13gProtein 11g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Leave a Reply