Creamy Sweet Potato Soup with Hazelnuts
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup with Hazelnuts – a delicious, creamy, hearty soup that is perfect as a side for Thanksgiving or any dinner party.
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite things to make – they are rich, buttery, and full of nutrients.
They are slightly sweet and take on a lovely smoky flavor when paired with cumin and paprika – and make a delicious, savory, and slightly sweet and spicy soup that is a lovely alternative to super-sweet sugary marshmallow sweet potato casseroles.
This creamy soup is incredibly easy to make – in just one pot!
Other Delicious Side Dishes You’ll love:
If you love this recipe, check out some of my other favorite side dishes – great for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or anytime you want to celebrate!
Click the links below to head to the full recipes for some of my favorite side dishes:
Creamy Sweet Potato Bisque with Hazelnuts Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- ¼ cup diced garlic
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 2" chunks
- 5 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce fresh Parmesan cheese, shaved (about ¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional)
- ½ cup hazelnuts, chopped and roasted
- dash of smoked paprika, to garnish
- Add oil to pan, heat on medium high.
- Swirl to coat pot.
- Add onion and garlic, sautee, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, until soft and lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
- As onions cook, peel skin from sweet potatoes, and dice into 2" chunks.
- Add stock to pan with onions and bring to a boil.
- Boil potatoes until soft.
- Do not drain.
- Stir in cumin and red pepper, turn off heat.
- Slowly add in cream and cheese, mixing well.
- Return heat to medium high.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until thick and creamy.
- Stir in salt.
- Divide soup evenly among 6 bowls; sprinkle roasted hazelnuts evenly over top.
- Garnish with parsley or fresh diced sage if desired.