Crunchy baked bbq chicken drumsticks with a crisp and slightly sticky bark are an easy, delicious main dish that are perfect for picnics, parties, and cookouts!
I can’t believe it is already summer.
The air is warmer, the nights brighter, the flowers popping all around- summer has made its presence known to our little farm in Northern Colorado.
And to us, summer means BBQ.
But this recipe isn’t done on the grill- we’re getting the crunchy, sticky, bark-covered chicken drumsticks from heaven – made right in your oven!
This recipe is 100% from my husband – he is a fantastic cook. He can work his way around a chicken (or really, any meat) better than anyone on earth.
He made this chicken the other night on a whim- he found some chicken drumsticks we needed to use up in our fridge, and wanted to come up with something smoky and crunchy- but it was raining and he didn’t want to fire up the grill.
No problem- these chicken drumsticks taste just like they were grilled, but with half the effort.
They are seriously that easy! Just a little dry rub and some sauce-mopping do the trick here- while you cook them to crunchy, sticky, smoky-sweet perfection right in your oven.
Make sure you use a sauce you really love- since its flavor will dominate in this dish – and let the sauce slowly glaze and become crunchy. This makes the sauce really more like a bark or crust, and not just like it was spread on as an afterthought.
It also helps seal in the chicken’s natural juices, so the drumstick is insanely tender and never dry.
If you LOVE this recipe for the oven-smoked flavor, you NEED to check out my husband’s famous oven smoked ribs recipe!
So let’s get to making the best BBQ Chicken Drumsticks, ever!
Crunchy Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- 4 lb chicken drumsticks
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups bbq sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thoroughly pat chicken dry with a paper towel.
- In a small bowl, mix together spices (all ingredients but chicken and bbq sauce)
- Coat chicken in dry rub, let sit 30 minutes to overnight.
- Add chicken to oven on a cooling rack sitting atop a baking sheet.
- Let chicken bake about 40 minutes before adding bbq sauce- until skin is crispy and fat has started to render. Flip chicken drumsticks every 10 minutes to ensure it crisps evenly on all sides.
- With a silicone brush, lightly brush chicken with bbq sauce, flipping its side each time you add another coat of sauce, about every 10 minutes until sauce is used up (about 30 minutes.)
- When chicken is ready, turn on broiler and broil for two minutes on each side to give a little extra crunch to chicken skin.
- Serve immediately.