Crunchy Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
Easy and delicious Crunchy baked bbq chicken drumsticks with a crisp and slightly sticky bark are the best baked bbq chicken recipe that the whole family loves! An easy baked chicken drumstick recipe that is bursting with BBQ Chicken Drumstick lick-your-fingers-clean flavor straight from the oven.
I love to grill anytime of year – summer, spring, fall – and even winter. There is something about delicious smoky, crunchy, and savory foods right off a hot grill that is so craveable – but grilling can easily become a giant pain in the butt.
Thankfully, when I’m craving crunchy, smoky, and delicious chicken drumsticks, I can make them anytime of year, fuss-free!
This amazing baked chicken legs recipe isn’t done on the grill- we’re getting the crunchy, sticky, bark-covered chicken drumsticks from heaven – made right in your oven!
These baked chicken drumsticks are low carb (grab a gluten free, low carb bottle of sauce), keto diet approved, and insanely easy – anyone can make them!
This recipe is 100% from my husband – he is a fantastic cook. He can work his way around a chicken (or really, any meat) better than anyone on earth.
He made this chicken the other night on a whim- he found some chicken drumsticks we needed to use up in our fridge, and wanted to come up with something smoky and crunchy- but it was raining and he didn’t want to fire up the grill.
This easy baked chicken drumstick method is then coated in layers of bbq sauce to develop a crunchy bark straight from the oven – as well as rich, smoky flavors.
just take me to the crunchy baked BBQ drumsticks recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, i think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this deliciously easy crunchy baked bbq drumsticks recipe, simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
What to Serve With BBQ Chicken
These delicious sides are easy, simple, and perfect for any backyard BBQ! Click each link for the easy printable recipe:
Perfect Baked Chicken Drumsticks in the Oven
- Add more sauce over time.
- Layering bbq sauce slowly over chicken drumsticks as the chicken drumsticks bake helps the crust become crunchy and delicious.
- Don’t rush the magic.
- It’s hard to let chicken drumsticks cook for a while, especially when they smell as good as these BBQ Chicken Drumsticks do, but for the fat to render and the skin to become crunchy and irresistible, they need time!
- Let the chicken develop flavors and fight the urge to rush it too quickly, and let the fat and tendons break down on their own, resulting in perfect baked chicken legs!
- Layer the flavor.
- Adding layers and layers of flavor helps bring out the rich, smoky flavor you’d normally only get from a hot grill!
- Let the sauce crisp a bit and develop a lovely crunchy bark by layering sauce on as it cooks – don’t just coat it with all the sauce at once.
Make sure you use a sauce you really love- since its flavor will dominate in this dish – and let the sauce slowly glaze and become crunchy.
This makes the sauce really more like a bark or crust, and not just like it was spread on as an afterthought.
It also helps seal in the chicken’s natural juices, so the drumstick is insanely tender and never dry.
If you LOVE this recipe for the oven-smoked flavor, you NEED to check out my husband’s famous oven smoked ribs recipe!
So let’s get to making the best BBQ Chicken Drumsticks, ever!
Crunchy Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
If you love this Crunchy Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks recipe as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
To see me make this dish, please click to watch the video below:
- 4 lb chicken drumsticks
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups bbq sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thoroughly pat chicken dry with a paper towel.
- In a small bowl, mix together spices (all ingredients but chicken and bbq sauce)
- Coat chicken in dry rub, let sit 30 minutes to overnight.
- Add chicken to oven on a cooling rack sitting atop a baking sheet.
- Let chicken bake about 40 minutes before adding bbq sauce- until skin is crispy and fat has started to render. Flip chicken drumsticks every 10 minutes to ensure it crisps evenly on all sides.
- With a silicone brush, lightly brush chicken with bbq sauce, flipping its side each time you add another coat of sauce, about every 10 minutes until sauce is used up (about 30 minutes.)
- When chicken is ready, turn on broiler and broil for two minutes on each side to give a little extra crunch to chicken skin.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 391 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 139mg Sodium: 1510mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 24g Protein: 28g