Danish Dream Cake - Easy Coconut Caramel Cake - is a light, springy cake with decadent coconut caramel topping, is an easy, delicious dessert that is a crowd pleaser!
This easy Coconut Caramel Cake is so delicious - it's like a dream!
Based off a traditional Danish Cream Cake recipe as tasted on my travels to Copenhagen Denmark.
This post is sponsored by Princess Cruise Line. All opinions are my own.
I was recently in Copenhagen Denmark for the beginning of an epic trip of a lifetime - an 11 day cruise around the Baltic Sea with Princess Cruises.
Want to head to Copenhagen to try your own Danish Dream Cake?
Be sure to check out the amazing cruise lineup around the Baltic Princess offers!
We're hitting Germany, Norway, Estonia, Russia, Finland, and Sweden - such a dream!
Copenhagen was one of my favorite stops though - the city is dotted with lovely streets full of pretty pastels and perfect cobblestones. It's like a Hans Christian Andersen fairytale come to life - I can see why he was so inspired having lived in Copenhagen!
Table of contents
About Danish Dream Cake (Coconut Caramel Cake):
Denmark is FULL of amazingly delicious baked goods and pastries - but none more enjoyable with a nice cup of coffee as the Danish Dream Cake, in my opinion.
This light and springy sponge cake topped with a coconut caramel sauce is sweet - but not overly sweet - and is perfect as a coffee cake alternative when you're looking for a unique treat!
The Danish name for this coconut caramel cake is drømmekage - which literally translates to "dream cake" - and is just a simple sponge cake that is "sealed" with a coconut caramel topping.
This cake is so simple, you probably already have all of the ingredients on hand - no trip to Denmark for exotic supplies needed.
Though really, why wouldn't you want to head to Denmark to sample some of this delicious cake along one of Copenhagen's fabulously beautiful canals?
I am ready to go back immediately - everything in Denmark (dream cake included) was an absolute dream. The food is spectacular, everyone is incredibly nice and warm, and the views are breathtaking.
And really - the pastries.
Everything I ate was incredible in Denmark.... I'm so glad this easy cake is a perfect way to get back in a Danish state of mind, at least for a moment!
Tips to a Perfect Coconut Caramel Cake Topping:
This light and airy sponge-like cake is a perfect treat on it's own - but the coconut caramel topping on a Danish Dream Cake is to die for!
While the caramel topping can seem intimidating, it is super easy to make with a couple tips and tricks:
- Let caramel sauce get a lovely deep brown color.
- For the best caramel sauce, give it time to develop a nice deep brown color.
- Turn off heat when adding milk.
- To prevent your sauce from seizing up later, I find its best to turn heat off when adding milk (return to heat the second it's mixed in.)
- Add milk slowly to prevent scalding.
- To prevent your milk from scalding, stir it in slowly and stir vigorously.
- Stir the caramel often to prevent burning.
- Don't just let your caramel sit on the stove the whole time - or it will be a burnt sticky mess! Stir often to help encourage the sugar to break down and keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning.
- Don't add coconut until caramel sauce is formed.
- To prevent the coconut's sugar from burning, AND to keep the coconut's flavor and texture, don't add until the sauce is already caramelized and thick.
Check out my favorite highlights from my trip here:
You can see more from my Princess Cruise around Scandinavia here - please click the links below to see each spot we stopped at on our trip!
Easy Danish Dream Cake (Caramel Coconut Cake) Recipe
If you love this Easy Danish Dream Cake (Caramel Coconut Cake) Recipe as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on facebook and pinterest.
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Danish Dream Cake - Coconut Caramel Cake - is a light, springy cake with decadent coconut caramel topping, is an easy, delicious dessert that is a crowd pleaser! This Coconut Caramel Cake is based off a traditional Danish Cream Cake recipe as tasted on my travels to Copenhagen Denmark!
- 250 g flour
- 250 g sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 dl milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- for the topping:
- 8 tbsp butter
- ½ dl milk
- 200 g brown sugar
- 100 g coconut flakes, sweetened
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan and remove from heat, adding milk in as you pull it off the stove.
- Add milk and butter to egg and sugar, whisk to incorporate fully.
- Add vanilla.
- Add flour and baking soda, and fold.
- Pour into parchment lined pan or silicone cake pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While cake is baking, melt butter in saucepan.
- Stir in milk and brown sugar and let boil about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut.
- Remove cake from oven (it should be lightly browned and firmed up.)
- Pour topping over cake and return to oven to bake another 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 4731Saturated Fat 149gCholesterol 857mgSodium 1515mgCarbohydrates 666gFiber 23gSugar 452gProtein 51g