Grinch Jello Shots
Nov 27, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Delicious, easy, fun Grinch themed Jello shots that are perfect for Christmas parties!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Green and Red Jello Shots
These festive red and green Grinch Jello shots are a delightful and fun twist on a classic cocktail. These are one of my favorite things to make for our yearly adult Christmas party. Whether you like a zesty kick of tequila or a nice smooth vodka this recipe can adapt to your preferences.
Since the Grinch’s heart was two sizes too small, I expect he would need at least 2 of these to give those Who’s back their gifts. These Christmas Jello shots have been known to bring the holiday spirit out in me too! Back in college I loved Jello shots and they have remained part of my cocktail repertoire. These Grinch shots are made by cutting hearts out of a cherry Jello mixture. You then add the spiked green apple Jello over the hearts in the individual cups and you have single serve Christmas spirit!
How to Make Grinch Jello Shots
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 (3 ounce) box of red cherry jello: The red cherry jello provides the primary cherry flavor and vibrant red color for the jello shots. It contributes a sweet and fruity taste that contrasts with the green apple flavor.
- 2 ½ cups boiling water (divided): The boiling water is used to dissolve the jello powder. It helps create the jello’s gelatinous texture and is an essential part of the jello shot preparation process.
- 1 cup cold water (divided): Cold water is mixed with the dissolved jello to bring the temperature down and start the setting process. It contributes to the final texture of the jello shots.
- 1 cup vodka, chilled (divided): Vodka is the alcoholic component of the jello shots. It not only adds a kick of alcohol but also helps prevent the jello from setting too firmly. The cold vodka also contributes to the jello’s final texture.
- 1 (3.94 ounce) box of Sonic green apple jello: The green apple jello adds a bright green color and a tart green apple flavor to the jello shots. This flavor complements the sweetness of the red cherry jello and creates a festive “Grinch-like” appearance.
Once You’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Prep red jello. Mix the red jello and 1 cup of boiling water in a large measuring cup or small bowl until completely dissolved. Stir in ¼ cup of cold water and ¼ cup of chilled vodka. Spray a 5×5 inch or similar size container with cooking spray and pour in the prepared jello. The jello should be about 1 inch in depth.
- Chill. Place the jello in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until completely set.
- Mix green jello. Once the red jello has set, mix the green apple jello and 1 ½ cups of boiling water in a large measuring cup or small bowl until completely dissolved. Stir in ¾ cup of cold water and ¾ cup of chilled vodka. Set the jello aside to cool completely to room temperature. While the green jello is cooling, arrange 20 (2-ounce) shot glasses on a rimmed tray or baking sheet.
- Cut red jello hearts. Remove the red jello from the fridge, run a butter knife around the container’s edge to loosen it, and turn it onto a cutting board. Use a 1 or 1 ½ inch heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut 20 hearts from the slab of jello. You want to use a small enough cutter to ensure the jello hearts fit in the shot glasses. Place one jello heart in the center of each shot glass. If the green jello is still cooling, place the tray with the shot glasses back in the refrigerator until the green jello has cooled.
- Pour green jello & chill. Carefully pour the green jello into the side of the shot glasses, filling to be level with the heart. Place the tray back in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until the jello has set.
- Enjoy! Serve chilled.
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Grinch Jello Shots
Layering Effect: To achieve distinct red and green layers, allow each layer to partially set before adding the next. You can achieve this by chilling the first layer in the refrigerator until it’s slightly firm but not completely set. This helps prevent the layers from blending together.
Chilling Time: Be patient when allowing each layer to set. It’s essential to follow the recommended chilling times between layers to ensure clean separation.
Cold Ingredients: Use cold vodka and cold water when making the jello mixture. This helps speed up the setting process and prevents the layers from mixing.
Measuring Ingredients: Accurate measurements are crucial for consistent results. Use a liquid measuring cup for the water and vodka to ensure precision.
Boiling Water: When mixing the jello powder, dissolve it in the boiling water thoroughly until no granules remain. This ensures a smooth texture in the final shots.
Cold Water Ratio: Follow the recipe’s instructions for the cold water ratio. Using the correct amount of cold water helps balance the texture and prevents the jello from becoming too firm.
Chill Time for Vodka: Chill the vodka in the refrigerator before adding it to the mixture. Cold vodka aids in the setting process and prevents the jello from melting the layers beneath.
Layering Techniques: Use a small spoon or measuring cup with a spout to gently pour each layer over the previous one. Pour the mixture slowly and directly over the back of a spoon to minimize disruption of the layer below.
Setting Time: Allow each layer to set in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before adding the next layer. You can test the firmness by gently touching the surface with a clean fingertip.
Greasing the Pan: Consider lightly greasing the pan with cooking spray before adding the first layer. This can help the jello shots release more easily when you’re ready to serve.
Decoration: Once the layers are set and the shots are sliced, consider adding a small candy heart or other festive decoration on top for an extra touch.
Serve Chilled: Make sure to serve the Grinch Jello Shots chilled. You can keep them in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve, or serve them over a bed of crushed ice.
If you want to make non-acholic grinch shots simply leave out the alcohol. If you are making some with and some without alcohol be sure to label the containers so you know which is which before you pour the Jello mix.
Yes, you can go ahead and make these one or two days ahead of your event and store them in the refrigerator until you need them.
Yes! Jello should always be refrigerated until you are ready to consume them.
If you want to make these Jello shots gluten free and vegan, make sure to use a gelatin alternative like agar-agar and make sure your alcohol of choice is also gluten-free and vegan.
If you want to add more flair, try adding some whipped cream, fruit, or even sprinkles.
What to Serve With Grinch Jello Shots
Finger Foods: Serve a variety of finger foods that are easy to enjoy alongside the jello shots. Consider options like mini sandwiches, sliders, cheese and cracker platters, and bite-sized appetizers.
Holiday Cookies: Offer a selection of holiday-themed cookies, such as sugar cookies shaped like Christmas trees, snowflakes, or gingerbread men. These sweet treats will add a touch of holiday cheer.
Fruit Platter: Create a colorful fruit platter with a variety of fresh fruits like strawberries, grapes, kiwi, and melon. The bright colors of the fruits will complement the vibrant colors of the jello shots.
Cheese and Charcuterie Board: Put together a well-curated cheese and charcuterie board with an assortment of cheeses, cured meats, nuts, olives, and dried fruits. This savory option pairs nicely with the sweetness of the jello shots.
Popcorn: Set out bowls of seasoned popcorn for a light and crunchy snack. Consider adding festive flavors like caramel or cinnamon for a holiday twist.
Crudité Platter: Arrange a variety of fresh vegetable sticks (carrots, celery, cucumber, bell peppers) along with dipping sauces like hummus or ranch dressing.
Mini Quiches or Tarts: Offer mini quiches, savory tarts, or savory pastries that guests can enjoy as a savory contrast to the sweet jello shots.
Savory Bites: Prepare savory appetizers like stuffed mushrooms, spinach and artichoke dip, or mini meatballs for a satisfying option.
Dips and Salsas: Set out an array of dips and salsas with tortilla chips, pita bread, or vegetable sticks for dipping.
Sparkling Water or Punch: Provide non-alcoholic beverages like sparkling water, punch, or mocktails for guests who may not be drinking alcohol.
Chocolate Treats: Offer chocolate-covered pretzels, truffles, or chocolate-dipped strawberries for those who have a sweet tooth.
Holiday Sweets: In addition to cookies, consider offering other holiday sweets like fudge, candy canes, or peppermint bark.
More Delicious Sweet C’s Recipes you want to try next:
Grinch Jello Shots Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 1 (3 ounce) box of red cherry jello
- 2 ½ cups boiling water (divided)
- 1 cup cold water (divided)
- 1 cup vodka, chilled (divided)
- 1 (3.94 ounce) box of Sonic green apple jello
- Mix the red jello and 1 cup of boiling water in a large measuring cup or small bowl until completely dissolved. Stir in ¼ cup of cold water and ¼ cup of chilled vodka.
- Spray a 5x5 inch or similar size container with cooking spray and pour in the prepared jello. The jello should be about 1 inch in depth.
- Place the jello in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until completely set.
- Once the red jello has set, mix the green apple jello and 1 ½ cups of boiling water in a large measuring cup or small bowl until completely dissolved. Stir in ¾ cup of cold water and ¾ cup of chilled vodka.
- Set the jello aside to cool completely to room temperature.
- While the green jello is cooling, arrange 20 (2-ounce) shot glasses on a rimmed tray or baking sheet.
- Remove the red jello from the fridge, run a butter knife around the container's edge to loosen it, and turn it onto a cutting board.
- Use a 1 or 1 ½ inch heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut 20 hearts from the slab of jello. You want to use a small enough cutter to ensure the jello hearts fit in the shot glasses.
- Place one jello heart in the center of each shot glass. If the green jello is still cooling, place the tray with the shot glasses back in the refrigerator until the green jello has cooled.
- Carefully pour the green jello into the side of the shot glasses, filling to be level with the heart.
- Place the tray back in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until the jello has set.
- Serve chilled.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 20 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 35Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 7mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 2gProtein 0g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.