Sweet, smoky, buttery and delicious honey whiskey caramelized onions are a decadent, delicious topping for sandwiches, burgers, and burritos!
When my husband and I were dating, we’d go to a lot of football games at our old alma mater, Colorado State University, together.
We’d act like we were in college again – tailgating for hours before the game in the Hughes Stadium parking lot.
The only big difference, of course, was that now that we were older, the food and beer were markedly better than back in college days (funnily enough, my husband and I always lived within two blocks of each other at CSU, and had a lot of friends who knew each others friends, but we never met while there!)
Of all the things we’d make, my favorite was always our friend Dave’s honey whiskey onions.
We’d make them and put them in breakfast burritos, on burgers, brats, or sandwiches.
And I would always eat about half of them straight from the pan!
Check out my facebook video for more info- and be sure to SAVE it to your timeline or share with a friend so you can find it quickly!
They are the most delicious onions ever- and you burn off the whiskey in the pan, so no need to worry much about getting tipsy from these.
- 2 tbsp butter , or ghee
- 1 large onion, sliced in half, then into thin strips
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp whiskey , or Burbon
- 1 tsp celtic sea salt
- In a large pan, melt butter or ghee.
- Add onions and salt, stir and let caramelize until medium to caramel brown.
- Drizzle honey over caramelized onions, stir.
- Add whiskey, stir, and light with a long handled lighter to burn off.
- When whiskey is burned off and most of the liquid has cooked off, remove from heat and serve immediately.
Amount Per ServingCalories 76 Saturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 10mg Sodium 422mg Carbohydrates 4g Sugar 3g