Green chili whiskey onion burgers are rich, smoky, sweet, and a little spicy – with no grill needed! Tons of southwestern flavor in every bite.
In Colorado, there is one ingredient that we seem to love more than anything.
It’s in eggs, burritos, tacos, on hot dogs and burgers… pretty much anywhere you look, it is there.
This magical stuff? Green chilis.
There is nothing like delicious smoky and slightly spicy green chili in all sorts of recipes – it’s a quintessentially Denver ingredient (never mind the fact we use green chilis from New Mexico… it is still very much a part of Colorado cuisine.)
While I love having burgers often, they are kind of a pain in the butt on days it’s raining or I don’t want to turn on the grill.
These hamburgers are perfect just in a pan – I’m using my best pan grilled burger method to make these great.
These burgers use my whiskey honey onions recipe – they are smoky, sweet, and SO delicious – they will become your favorite caramelized onion recipe, ever! Be sure to grab the Honey Whiskey Onion recipe here and check out my Facebook video for it (SHARE it to your homepage to find it easily!).
For the green chilis, I find the frozen kind in my grocery store and sauté them with garlic powder, butter, and a sprinkle of cumin. It makes them extra smoky and delicious!
But you can also just use chopped green chili, or even green chili sauce! I like Hatch 505 Honey Green Chili Sauce, affiliate link above with my burger making favorites, like an amazing burger press, my favorite heavy iron pan, and burger shapers!!!
- 1 batch whiskey honey onions
- 1 lb ground beef, shaped into 4 patties
- 1 tbsp ghee
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sharp cheddar cheese, optional
- 4 brioche hamburger buns
- For the green chili:
- 1 cup diced green chilis
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp butter
- OR ½ cup green chili sauce per burger
- In pan you used to make whiskey honey onions (DONT CLEAN PAN AFTER MAKING, it will give more flavor to the burgers), melt ghee over medium high heat.
- Shape burgers into patties (I like to use a burger press).
- Generously season burgers with salt and pepper.
- Add burgers to pan when ghee is melted, and cook 5 minutes on each side.
- When burgers are done to your liking, add a slice of cheese (if desired), and add lid to pan to melt cheese.
- When cheese is melted, remove from pan.
- Add green chilis to burger bun and place burger on top.
- Garnish with onions, place bun on top, and serve immediately!
- For the green chilis: sauté in pan with butter, garlic powder, and cumin until hot. Use as burger garnish; OR add sauce to burger bun.